having to force 3d performance settings

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
I recently bought an eVGA 7800gt CO with 81.94 drivers. I am running rivatuner 15.7 and all of this on an Asus A8N Sli. The problem I am having is when I first installed the drivers, and riva tuner I start the slow process of overclocking the vid card. After about a day of 5mhz increase in mem spd then running 3d mark 05 then increasing the speed, I pulled off a mem spd of 1200 and core speed of 500. It ran fine for about a week. It would run at 2d settings during normal use then increase to 3d perf. settings during gaming. But after about a week or so, it stopped running at 3d perf, unless I forced it to run at 3d all the time. Like now. It will occasionally jump up to 3d during game play but only for a few minutes, then right back down to 2d settings. I would really like to find out why this is happening and what I need to do to fix it. I have tried reinstalling the drivers, ran CCleaner, Detonator RIP in safe mode before installing and reinstalling drivers. It also did the same thing with the last set of drivers I used, 81.85 abd 71.77 as well.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Have you looked to see what your core temp is running at? If your card overheats it won't run at full 3D speed and will instead run at the saftey speed.

BTW, you can set the saftey speed to whatever you want but generally this is a bad idea since it can contribute to killing your card in the event it actually is overheating in 3D mode.

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
The hottest my vid card has run up to is 62C, but that was just for a few then it went back down to about 55C. For the most part the card runs mid 50C while gaming.

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
Fixed my problem. It was a matter of non compatible vid drivers and riva tuner version. SO all is good again here. I would really like to thank those that posted on this thread. Its more then I got from a much larger, supposedly more knowledgable forum. There, I got over 30 reads and the only replies that I got from that forum was from one bump by me and one more post by myself saying I had figured it out. I left that thread same day I left this thread.

I did notice something about that forum, its more of a forum for ppl to sit around and talk about things other then troubleshooting. They do more bsing there then actually trying to help ppl out. So I thank this forum very much for its help.

madmat

Soup Nazi
That's an odd issue, you should submit a bug report to the guy that writes RivaTuner so that he's aware of it, I'm using it with my older unsupported drivers and I'm not having that issue.

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
I think the problem is that, I was using a newer driver then Riva Tuner presently supports. It lets you know when you first log on using the unsupported driver, thats its not compatible. Normally this is much of an issue, but certain things dont work, like overclocking the 3d perf settings.

madmat

Soup Nazi
My driver is also "unsupported" yet I don't have that issue, that's why I was advising you to tell the guy that writes the proggy so that if he runs up against this issue with others he'll know the cause (if he hasn't already)

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Somtimes a newer driver may be somthing as simple as adding a new hardware type to the driver list.
In that instance the "unsupported" driver version, is essentially the same as the previous "supported" set in its settings.

However, when a new driver set comes out that specificly targets a piece of new hardware with newer performance optimizations. That will render that driver completely useless with Riva Tuner. Becuase it simply doesnt support the newer optimized configurations to tweak them.

Its not really an issue with Riva Tuner so to speak. As much as it is keeping up with the changes in the driver sets, and making sure that Riva Tuner will infact work. Usually through trial and error, unfortunately.

Sorry i didnt get to this thread sooner. I could have saved you the headache of frustration.