Having to clear Cmos after restart.

leecho7

Partition Master
I just got my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D in tonight. I hooked everything up, it booted fine. I went into Bios, set my boot priorities to install windows xp, saved and restarted. The screen went black... and stayed black. All the fans still run and it seems to be working well, except when i restart I get a black screen at boot. In order to remedy this, I have to clear CMOS for me to be able to get back into bios.

Current Rig

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
Sapphire x1900xtx
AMD Athlon 64 3700
2gig G.skill pc4000
Antec smart power 500w

Any ideas?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Ahhh..........welcome to the damned club bro. I found that a simple BIOS update cured my problems. I am not sure what caused my mobo to force me to reset the BIOS but it happened during a install into a new case.....whatever. Try to update your BIOS to the latest version and that -should- remedy your problem. You also might try to power your PC down and then back up if you are not wanting to attempt a BIOS update. Should you need any help, thats what we are here for.

-Dark

leecho7

Partition Master
Installed windows without a hitch. One thing though, I noticed it takes a while for windows to load at boot up. A lot longer than it took on my Asus board. It would take my Asus board about 10 seconds to load windows, but now it takes me about 30-40 seconds. Any ideas?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Make sure you have the latest BIOS. I'd also search around in the BIOS for SATA related options. My Windows takes 30 - 40 seconds to boot up also, and when I used to be on IDE it wasn't half that bad.

leecho7

Partition Master
Yeah I'm still on IDE. But so far, I ran prime95 for 12 hours at 2.6gigs completely stable.

I'm just worried about my chipset temps, it rises up to 60c.

leecho7

Partition Master
I think I just figured out how to make windows boot up faster. I changed the boot priority in the bios from 1st cd rom 2nd harddrive to 1st harddrive 2nd cd rom. Windows boots in like 7 seconds now. Might want to try that out Rob. Maybe it was just a fluke though. But oh well.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yeah, you certainly save some time by bypassing the CD-ROM boot. I personally do not mind it but it is deffinately something that you can save some time with. Good call.