Has Gearbox Software Taken Over Duke Nukem Forever Development?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As hard as it may be to believe, it's been well over a year since 3D Realms posted that it'd be shuttering. Since then, a lot has happened, including the realization that it hasn't shuttered, but rather that it is running with a skeleton crew. But, with that skeleton crew, it meant that continued Duke Nukem Forever development was essentially up in the air.

duke_nukem_forever_050709.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
We were talking about this earlier at work since a few of us are big time Borderlands fans. If they do as good of a job without too much interference from 3D Realms (and by interference I mean change after change after change after...) I can see this piece of vaporware becoming a HUGE success assuming it finally gets released.

Shake it baby!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
But - but - but.... if Gearbox releases DNF, we'll need a new poster-child for vaporware.... WINFS maybe? Even the serious sam jokes about the blonde guy will loose meaning.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
But - but - but.... if Gearbox releases DNF, we'll need a new poster-child for vaporware.... WINFS maybe? Even the serious sam jokes about the blonde guy will loose meaning.
While it's not vaporware I doubt we'll ever see a game developed on a major blockbuster movie that doesn't suck. That's a white whale if ever there was one.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Duke Nukem, Forever in speculation!

I predict in 100 years some kid will write the game inside the VR realm once the rights expire, just to finally publish it. ;)