Half-Life Total Conversion 'Black Mesa' Released

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Need a game to play this weekend? Thanks to the valiant efforts of some serious fans of the original Half-Life, you have one: Black Mesa. As mentioned in a post we made a couple of weeks ago, Black Mesa is a complete recreation of the game that made Valve famous, using a recent version of the Source engine. You can expect much-improved visuals and audio, more realistic physics and some tweaks that the developers felt were necessary to improve the game.

black_mesa_091412_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Too late! I got bombarded by 2 people on my Steam list to go grab it.....the Fileshack mirror was slow.

EDIT: SOB the fileshack mirror was corrupt. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me with a new file that's over 1GB. Time to use the torrent.

EDIT 2: The torrents stability for speed up or down is ridonkulous. It is however not corrupt and installed just fine! Viva la Black Mesa!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I tossed the torrent on my server and it's already uploaded 15GB worth. Seems to be a popular option.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
People have been waiting for it for so long, so I'm glad that the ambition for it hasn't been lost. What I worry about is that we won't see the end of the game. It might become another Episode Three :S

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Any one else remember what they were playing the original Half-Life 1 on? All I can remember is my video card being a Voodoo Banshee.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Pentium III, GeForce4 MX, 256MB RAM. I was a late comer to the Half Life party, 2002 ish. Just meant I picked up the expansions at the same time.