Half-Life Total Conversion 'Black Mesa' Released

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rob Williams, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Moderator

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    Need a game to play this weekend? Thanks to the valiant efforts of some serious fans of the original Half-Life, you have one: Black Mesa. As mentioned in a post we made a couple of weeks ago, Black Mesa is a complete recreation of the game that made Valve famous, using a recent version of the Source engine. You can expect much-improved visuals and audio, more realistic physics and some tweaks that the developers felt were necessary to improve the game.

[​IMG]

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

2. Kayden

Kayden Tech Monkey

Sep 13, 2010
    CA
    Too late! I got bombarded by 2 people on my Steam list to go grab it.....the Fileshack mirror was slow.

EDIT: SOB the fileshack mirror was corrupt. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me with a new file that's over 1GB. Time to use the torrent.

EDIT 2: The torrents stability for speed up or down is ridonkulous. It is however not corrupt and installed just fine! Viva la Black Mesa!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  3. Greg King

Greg King I just kinda show up... Staff Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Indiana
    Sweet Jesus. I cannot wait to play this.

4. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    I tossed the torrent on my server and it's already uploaded 15GB worth. Seems to be a popular option.

5. Greg King

Greg King I just kinda show up... Staff Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Indiana
    Oh my! There has certainly been a buzz surrounding this project.

6. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    People have been waiting for it for so long, so I'm glad that the ambition for it hasn't been lost. What I worry about is that we won't see the end of the game. It might become another Episode Three :S

7. Kayden

Kayden Tech Monkey

Sep 13, 2010
    CA
    Any one else remember what they were playing the original Half-Life 1 on? All I can remember is my video card being a Voodoo Banshee.

8. Rob Williams

Jan 12, 2005
    Atlantic Canada
    No idea at all =/ I'm lucky to remember what I ran five years ago, much less ten+ :D

9. Tharic-Nar

Tharic-Nar Senior Editor Staff Member Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    UK
    Pentium III, GeForce4 MX, 256MB RAM. I was a late comer to the Half Life party, 2002 ish. Just meant I picked up the expansions at the same time.