Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The time... has finally come. Episode 2 has been elusive, but it's here, and its brought a team. We are not going to touch TF2 or Portal though... we are more interested in going back to where we left off sixteen months ago...

You can read the review here and discuss it here.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I got to work early today so I could play this. Yeah, I don't have home internet at the moment, so what?!? So far, this is a good one. The first time Alex got attacked, it was truly a WTF kind of moment. While I am only about half way through I think, it's deserving of the 95% you gave it in my mind.

With the X38 pounding and this Episode 2 article, you have clearly been busy. Home runs on both accounts!

P

Puls

I have to concur. This is a really great game and deserves the 95. I only whish Ep3 would be right around....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What's the problem, exactly? Is the drop-down menu for changing the aspect ratio not there, or does the game error when loaded in a widescreen resolution? The game is based on the same engine that we've been using for three years, so I am unsure why a problem like this would suddenly pop up. Hope you can get that figured out.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I click on 16:10 and hit apply and it goes back to the options menu without applying, dunno why. I just got a KVMP that's VGA only so I can run more than one PC at a time. As such I'm using the VGA input on my monitor rather than the DVI-D so I dunno if that's the issue. GRAW2 works in the same resolution I've been running it at with the DVI-D hooked up so I'm at a loss as to why HL ep.2 won't run wide screen. I thought maybe it was a driver issue, downloaded the latest beta drivers for my cards and still no 16:10 love. Bummer.

NicePants42

Partition Master
But... does loading up Episode One give the same problem?
That's a very good question.

The only thing I can think of is that your monitor isn't being recognized somewhere - but I have no idea how to resolve that since even my old CRT is plug-and-play.

H

hulle

i have the same problem... I click on 16:10 and apply, but nothing happens.
Episode one works just fine with native widescreen!

U

Unregistered

I had the same problem, HL2 and EP1 ran fine at 1920x1080, EP2, Portal and TF2 wouldn't accept widescreen in the settings.

But...if you right-click the troublesome game in Steam Games, go to properties and then launch options, then type -w xxxx -hxxxx. x being your chosen resolution, it'll run fine.

Hope this helps someone, it was pissing me off for ages.

THUMPer

Coastermaker
I really loved this game. I was able to do 1680 x 1050 at 6:10. Either way it was wide screen. Im not in front of my computer to confirm this. What a great game.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It really is an incredible game. It's short, but incredible none the less. So good in fact, that I have been going back through and playing the others, just to freshen up on the storyline. There isn't many games that can bring back memories like the original HL.