Half-Life 2: 64-Bit - Reason to get excited?

U

Unregistered

I should also add that I've never had this problem on my old PC, which had 32-bit Windows XP. Apparently the problem I'm having is a known issue, but there's no patch for it. I don't know if that's true or not.

U

Unregistered

I've experienced both problems as well, but luckily had them fixed with a simple restart of the game. One thing I normally try before re-installing the game completely is right-clicking the game, and inside the menu somewhere, clicking "Verify Game Integrity". I've never had that help, but it scans the files to make sure nothing is broken.

I am not sure I have any ideas either, but do you know if it's related to the 64-Bit version of the game only? I don't have x64 installed, but are you able to access your shortcut properties and change the compatibility to 32-Bit Windows? If so, it might be worth giving a try, to fool Steam into running the 32-Bit version.

Ah, I forgot about the compatibility mode! Maybe that will work.

U

Unregistered

Well, I'm officially out of options. :(

I tried compatibility mode, that didn't work. I also tried verifiying the files, and that didn't do it either. I guess the only option is to go back to 32-bit Windows. I wonder if the same issue occurs on 64-bit Vista?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I would definitely contact customer support first, or check their online help database. It sounds like a common problem... I had it when Lost Coast first came out. With I could be of more help :-(

U

Unregistered

Somehow, the game ended up working properly after one more reinstall. I got the "AI disabled" message again, so I enabled it, and it never appeared again after reloading the game.

I don't really know how the issue was fixed, but I'm glad it got fixed. I just wish I knew how I fixed it. Anyway, thanks for the help!

X

{XG}Gijs007

re

Well, I'm officially out of options. :(

I tried compatibility mode, that didn't work. I also tried verifiying the files, and that didn't do it either. I guess the only option is to go back to 32-bit Windows. I wonder if the same issue occurs on 64-bit Vista?

hi i am new and running steam on my x64 bit version of vista ultimate

and installed steam in the x86 folder do i get the x64 version from steam how can i see that?

im gonna give it a look

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are using x64 Windows, the 64-Bit Half-Life 2 should work right out of the box. Load up the game and look at the corner, it should state the fact that you are running the 64-Bit version.

U

Unregistered

Here is the solution for A.I. disabled bug:

Here is the solution for A.I. disabled bug:

Go into your hl2\cfg\ folder, and create a txt file, inside this text file, write the following lines.
ai_norebuildgraph "1"
ai_disable "0"

Save, then rename the text file to ai_fix.cfg, right click the file and set it to read only.
Next, open up valve.rc in notepad, you should see the following
// load the base configuration
//exec default.cfg
// Setup custom controller
exec joystick.cfg
// run a user script file if present
exec autoexec.cfg
//
// stuff command line statements
//
stuffcmds
// display the startup level