Guild Wards hits 4 million sold

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Popular MMO game Guild Wars has hit 4 million units sold:
Guild Wars, the popular subscription-free MMO from NCsoft, has hit 4 million units sold. That number includes sales from the original game and both the Factions and Nightfall expansion packs. Anyone who owns the original version can hop on and play, so technically they have many "subscribers", but I would be interested in knowing the number of active accounts at the present time. I am sure that information won't just slide out of either ArenaNet or NCsoft, though.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
guild_wars_4_million_082107.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
"Four million units sold is an impressive number and demonstrates that Guild Wars is a proven franchise," said Bob McKenzie, Senior Vice President of Merchandising, GameStop Corporation. "The Guild Wars franchise delivers an outstanding gaming experience and is clearly an important part of our PC games offerings."

Source: NCsoft Press Release
I still have a copy of the game lying around somewhere, but I never had a great opportunity to play it in-depth. It's good to see MMOs other than WoW doing well though, even if the numbers are only ~10% of the big gun.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
I wonder if I was the 4 millionth.
I'd never tried it before, got one of the demo disks, and purchased Nightfall. Loving it so far, and I'm a big NCsoft fan, playing both City games and Lineage off and on.

Roberick

Obliviot
I bought it when it first came out but only recently started getting into it. Tons of content if you spend a bit of time exploring

Promethious

Obliviot
oh come on guys guild wars is great! (though you either like guild wars or wow not both) ive been playing it for 2 years now and its still going strong... hench the 4 million sold mark.

Fruppy

Obliviot
I think Guild Wars and WoW are both fun. Of course I'm burnt out on both of 'em, too, so hey. GW is only fun with a group of dedicated people, though.

Against my better judgment, I'm looking forward to GW2.