got a question? need some answer.

!angel_anne!

Obliviot
Buying a new computer

Hey all, new here and am looking at buying a brand new computer . I found one that im pretty interested in. it has a Sony-VAIO-3.4GHz Pentium 4. heres the link for more details:

http://masspc.com/desktops/Desktops...ter-with-DVD1RW-Sony-VGCRA810G-Vaio-Computer/

I'll be using it for schooling but also for gaming (not hardcore to the max) and maybe some photoshop. What i wanna know is wether or not this system will be good enough for what im doing? thanks in advance for any help !

madmat

Soup Nazi
It'll be a far sight better than a cheaper unit with integrated graphics would be but since it's likely AGP as opposed to PCI-E on the graphics interface you'll be limited for future upgrades since the 6800GT and Ultra AGP flavors are quickly disapearing from the marketplace.

The x850 and x800 are still around but for how long?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I'd check out www.ibuypower.com if I were you. That systems a little pricey expecially only having the x600 card. The gig of ram is nice and it's got nice storage with the 250g hard drive, but I believe you can find a better value.
I just configured the same system for ~$900 there. They offer a warranty as well and there a more options to chose from. Happy to help.

I do believe that the system you've chosen would definitely support the tasks you want to accomplish, I just don't believe you need to spend so much money on it.

Muddy

Obliviot
I say either go with ibuypower (check for reviews for that website to see if they are reliable), or build your own. It would be cheaper than buying the sony one and you would get better parts.

I say for schooling and light gaming, maybe
a
-3.2 Intel or 3200+ AMD (939)
-A decent mobo
-160gb HD
-1 Gig RAM
-Reliable PowerSuply
-9800pro ATI Vid Card (light gaming)

Any questions you can pm me

madstork91

The One, The Only...
You can find a 3.2 version with the same specs at most bestbuy's I have checked recently. It will cost about the same but comes with a more than decent screen. Either PC is more than capable of meeting your needs and some for the current level of gaming etc.

I personally run an updated Sony myself and recomend them when it comes to bare minimals with room for upgrade. Ive had my current one going on 7 years and all I've done is caped out the Ram and upgraded the vid card twice. That 3.4 was what I was actually about to buy ~ a year ago but with dual processors and new gen video card types coming out I decide to wait untill the industry settled down in this "new age" before just recently scanning the market again.

SgtSethiol

Obliviot
I have a question about the media center operating system. Does it run any different then Windows, cause that was my only problem with the setup. Not sure I would want that as my OS for such a multipurpose system

Blumen

Coastermaker
Nah, i found it fine... One of my friends has it on his Dell laptop. It's pretty much the same thing.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Hell, get yourself one of the new nForce 430 mATX boards with onboard 6150 graphics. Wont be anything lightings fast but it will get your basic desktop and simple 3D needs handles ok. And if you want somthing a little better, you can grab a 6600 or som other lower midgrade PCI-e graphics solution for under $100.
Most of the boards support up to 4 gigs of RAM. Full socket 939 support so you can upgrade when needed. Have full SATA support. And becuase its Micro ATX you can get a nice slim case to put it in. And of course they come with the same rock solid stability you would get from any other NF4 board.

IMHO, if your serious about useing your computer at all...you just dont buy a prebuilt branded computer. Which is chock full of no-name generic components, and arent built to the same standards and quality you would expect them to be.

Plus, who wants to buy a Sony...it probibly comes preinstalled with DRM rootkits. ;)