Google Chrome Chucks its Beta Label

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When Google released their Chrome browser back in September, it took the web-world by storm. Within the span of just a few days, we went from first learning about it to being able to test it out for ourselves. After doing so, I was personally very impressed. Google does a lot of things well, and a browser is definitely one of them for the most part.

One small problem with Chrome, though, was that it was launched with a "Beta" moniker, and retained it for the first few months. Using the "Beta" tag has become a common occurrence with most of Google's products, but seeing it in the corner doesn't instill much faith in those who are wary of the term, or want to deploy software in a business environment. Well, they'll have nothing to worry about anymore, since Google has deemed Chrome stable enough to finally drop the label.

Since its launch, Chrome has been updated on a nightly basis, so Google didn't simply launch a browser and leave it. As it stands today, Google claims that Chrome is faster than it was when first launched in September and also less buggy. Whether losing its beta label is what's needed to see wider adoption is yet to be seen, but it certainly won't hurt. Since launch, Chrome has retained just over a 3% usage rate on our site (Dec 1 - 14 is 3.66%), so its definitely on its way.

google_chrome_090308.jpg

Since we first released Google Chrome, the development team has been hard at work improving the stability and overall performance of the browser. In just 100 days, we have reached more than 10 million active users around the world (on all seven continents, no less) and released 14 updates to the product. We're excited to announce that with today's fifteenth release we are taking off the "beta" label!

Source: Google Blog

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Okay, I got the latest Chrome browser.
At www.speedtest.net I got 31.5 mbps download and 3.1 upload

Firefox mozila got 32.7 download and 2,6 upload

IE7 got 28.4 download and upload was 3.1

Safari for Windows got 25.5 download and the upload was 3.0

Interesting