Good Security Related Programs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Last edited:

Dom

Obliviot
I'm running Norton 2005 atm, but I'll be getting a new PC within the next few weeks.

I was always told NAV was the best for virus scanning and Auto-Protecting, maybe I was told wrong lol.

GeekGirl

Obliviot
AVG - just got it, love it so far
ZoneAlarm - has its issues but it's almost as paranoid as I am
Ad-Aware use only paired with SpyBot - what one misses the other finds
Proxomitron - mmm yummy
HijackThis - know what's really going on
CWShredder - but am I paranoid enough?

All legally free to the best of my knowledge.
:)

Greg214

Obliviot
zone alarm

firewalls r basically worthless to me because as long as i know which ports r open and closed i really don't need a firewall being on a high speed connection. they seemingly only bog down my productivity for certain proccesses etc etc.

if u use a program such as active ports 1.4 (port monitor for NT systems) u really don't need a firewall. firewalls were made for and designed for networking usage such as intranet structure networking within offices so that if a multi number of computers r linked to an existing LAN they can keep unwanted users out from sniffing into the local network. Essentially with that being said a single user at home for personal use really has no need for a firewall if they know what they r doing as far as tcp, udp port usage etc etc... anyways some may argue with my premise, and if some feel more secure using a firewall then i guess go head n use it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree with you Greg for the most part. For most who don't understand/care to watch their ports, then Firewalls are a great way to go. They are a necessity for people who don't know what they are doing on a PC ;)

werty316

Partition Master
I use these:

Adware Removal
Ad-Aware
Spy Bot S&D
Spyware Doctor
ZoneAlarm Pro

Firewall
ZoneAlarm Pro

Virus Scanner
NOD32

Cool Barn

Obliviot
Dom said:
I'm running Norton 2005 atm, but I'll be getting a new PC within the next few weeks.

I was always told NAV was the best for virus scanning and Auto-Protecting, maybe I was told wrong lol.
You WERE told wrong! What's the point of buying a brand spanking new uber-fast PC and then slowing it down with the most bloated, intrusive software you can buy (and no I'm not talking about Windows XP ;)).

In the 90s Nortons Antivirus was fantastic, but these days it causes more problems than it actually fixes. I have heard very good things about Nod32, and would suggest free programs like AVG and Avast over Nortons (and even McAfee for that matter) any day of the week.

Ben

Site Developer
Yes, Norton and McAfee are the WORST you can put on your PC today. They are bloated as Cool Barn stated and in most cases, actually cause more problems than they solve. Go with AVG or Avast!.

andanton

Obliviot
Orbit said:
Yes, Norton and McAfee are the WORST you can put on your PC today. They are bloated as Cool Barn stated and in most cases, actually cause more problems than they solve. Go with AVG or Avast!.

I tryed McAfee once and it kept causing crashes and slowdowns in my other software.

andanton

Obliviot
Best anti-spyware and best-anti-adware can be YOU if you pay attention to what processes are running on your computer and catch any new ones and delete them!

Regularly checking your process list and keeping track of what process names you run, then checking again once a week and making sure that nothing is out of the ordinarily. I often catch new processes in task manager that I don't recognize and I kill them manually. No more adware or spyware :)

ducarti

Obliviot
Orbit said:

I mentioned it before Cool Barn in this thread, but nobody seemed to back up what I was saying there. I think I confused a few people when I referred to Norton Antivirus as Symantec Antivirus: http://www.forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?p=5436&posted=1#post5436

Symantec Norton Antivirus installs a half dozen (more or less) programs to your computer that are only there for anti-piracy purposes. Symantec calls these programs license-management. You can go into the system services in Windows XP and list all the services running on your computer and you will see those license management programs.

Uc-ker

Obliviot
Anti-virus is best run by the user. About once a week I start my anti-virus software, scan my computer, then exit the program. I won't let the anti-virus software remain online all the time.