good or bad???

henno

Obliviot
I have a computer that i bought a couple of years ago and it was really good back then. I dont know much about computers but was hoping someone could help me by telling me if the motherboard is good enough to to build up so i could run the latest games? It is a Intel Desktop board D975XBX

Any help would be great!
Henno

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
that is a SERIOUSLY outdated board...no way it'll be able to run the latest games. It doesn't even have PCIe 2.0, meaning you won't be able to use ANY of the newest graphics cards. If I were you I'd get a new motherboard...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
What games are you wanting to run? Crimson is right in saying that you are eliminating the chance to use the most recent video cards.

What CPU are you looking to use? Would it be upgraded as well?

I stop short of suggesting that you purchase all new gear but you could get an updated motherboard, use your current DDR2 RAM and then look into a newer video card.

What are your hardware specs currently?

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
We need the full specs, but IMO you are going to need a entire new PC or 90% new one. Probably CPU/Mobo/Ram (I say ram since DDR2 prices are going up a bit and DDR3 is really cheap now) as well as a GPU. Then depending on PSU possibly need a new one too. Depending on hardware or preferences you may need a new case.

EDIT: Well now, that board isnt too bad but if your looking at a new CPU and GPU you may as well get the faster newer CPU and mobo/ram.

Last edited:

misterd

Obliviot
that is a SERIOUSLY outdated board...no way it'll be able to run the latest games. It doesn't even have PCIe 2.0, meaning you won't be able to use ANY of the newest graphics cards. If I were you I'd get a new motherboard...

PCI-e is backwards compatible isn't it? He wouldn't get the same speed as having it in a 16x 2.0 slot but it should still work I would think.

However DarkStarr is correct in saying it's time for a new PC. That motherboard only supports at best a C2D E6700, not even any model of quad core.

The hard drive and optical drive and case would probably be re-usable if needed. But 90% new is a fair guess. Good luck!

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The slot can be backwards compatible with cards (PCI-E 2.0 slot will work with PCI-E 1.0 cards) but if you go the other way around, there's no way to guarantee that the card will get enough voltage because the newer interfaces also supply more power, not just affect the data throughput.