Good hint that you have an instable overclock

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This happened last week... was playing around with some Ballistix sticks, and I overdid the overclock. Windows functioned fine, but was a tad sluggish. I ran MemTest to stress test the modules, and had this happen :D

It's nothing a "shutdown -a" wouldn't fix, but it's the first time that's happened due to overclocking.

Attachments

• shutdown.jpg
    shutdown.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 692

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I love that little box. Reminds me of oldendays when 98 would suddenly just stop and reboot. There's a trick to that box though. You can click on the time and adjust the date to any before it and windows will function.

2.4v on DDR2? You sure were pushing those sticks. :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
2.4v on DDR2? You sure were pushing those sticks. :D

I've been up to 2.85v on the DFI board :p

Edit: Oh, and there is an even better way to get rid of that. Type "shutdown -a" in the run bar and it will cancel it :p

Last edited:

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
lol, I had read about the "shutdown -a" command but the last couple times the Death Timer appeared I always ended up typing it wrong and missing the countdown.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Heh, sometimes I let it get down to 3 seconds before I type it in. Makes the suspense grow bigger.

Of course, if you want to use the PC for a lot of different things, it's actually better to just let it reboot. For whatever reason, that prompt disables a lot of things, so even if you cancel it, some programs will not function.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
I think it's one of those "master of my fate" type situations. "Well if my machine needs to be shut down, by golly, I'm gonna' be the one to do it! Outta' my face you emotionless mech, I'll restart you when it damn well pleases me."

"....which is now."