Good deal on a new monitor?

TWLOHA

Obliviot
I'm in need of a new monitor.
Right now I'm using a custom built rig (cost me about $2600 a year and a half ago) and half the time I'm using a 10 year old CRT monitor, and the other half a 5 or 6 year old 17 inch LCD that is totally outdated.

Unfortunately, I make a lot of bad decisions when buying new products and I'd really like some help from someone a little more experienced with monitors.
So, what decent deals are out there?

I don't need something huge, but I am a big gamer so something sharp. I'm on a bit of a budget too. Also, I'd prefer something I can get on a Canadian site like TigerDirect or NCIX.

I don't know if this is an appropriate thing to post on this forum, but thanks either way!

TWLOHA

Obliviot
Under $200, not a big budget right now. Preferably around $150 if it's even possible for a good quality monitor.

No specific size really, just big enough to game on!

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
Asus has some pretty good and cheap gaming LCDs that are $200 and under. VH236h ($180-200 CDN) , VH226h ($170-190 CDN), etc. + rebates from Asus. Sell that old LCD for 20-25 bucks on craigslist or RFD then you're set!

These were used in the Evolution StreetFighter tournament championships a few months ago so you know their response time is fast enough (since every frame matters in high level Street Fighter).

Last edited:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey

Go for the ASUS one...

I've put several of the 24" Asus 1080p monitors into various situations lately and everyone likes them just fine. A few are using the monitor as their TV set, hooked up to HTPC systems. I also have one in my living room... It's a truly excellent monitor, never misbehaved in any way.

Watch the sales... I've seen them as low as $189.00cdn.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
Here's another good monitor for under $200 (pricebat.ca lists the lowest price at $179)
Samsung 2343BWX. It does 2048x1152 for a 23 incher! Also has higher pixel density than the T220 at 7million vs 5million.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Here's another good monitor for under $200 (pricebat.ca lists the lowest price at $179)
Samsung 2343BWX. It does 2048x1152 for a 23 incher! Also has higher pixel density than the T220 at 7million vs 5million.

AND... Samsung's reputation. I used to place Samsung displays in my various projects... had problems with them... they're all replaced by ASUS now.

Sometimes the least expensive purchase isn't the best buy...

TWLOHA

Obliviot
They both look good, on the sites I use most the Asus is a bit over 200 which is strictly my limit.
I'm still going to wait a couple of weeks before buying anything though, any other suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help guys.

madtechnical

Obliviot
I like the Samsung monitors to be honest, though checking out reviews and comparing different types of monitors is important. We have two Samsung and an Acer, which pales in comparison to the Samsung's. Since we have them as a three monitor set up we can see the difference in screen resolution pretty clearly.