Globalfoundries to begin taking 32nm orders in late 2009

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm a bit late on relaying the information here, but according to Fudzilla, Globalfoundries will be prepared later this year to begin taking its first 32nm orders. They'll still be behind Intel by a fair margin in terms of product to market (Intel's 32nm Westmere will be commercially available later this year), but it's at least good to hear that the company isn't wasting any time in catching up to the competition.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12784&Itemid=35

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Even if they beat TSMC to 32nm mass production, TSMC is going to be quick to follow and has a much larger fab capacity. Was pretty sure only one of the AMD/Global fabs will be 32nm at first, at least for most of 2010?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No idea. It's all speculation right now I believe. Either way, I don't expect them to blow our pants off right off the get go. No company can kick things off that smoothly.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That's how AMD's fabs operated in the past, only one ever was brought up to the "latest" process node and the other was upgraded as the older generation products got phased out. AMD's, or I should say GlobalFoundries' New York fab was supposed to be built with 32nm 300mm tech. If they keep to those plans, by the time it gets built 32nm will be outdated... ;)