Gigabyte To Beat ASUS To Market With X38 Offerings?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our news:
Intel's high-end X38 chipset will be launching later this month, but according to DigiTimes, ASUStek might not be one of the first ones out the door with a variety of motherboard offerings. Thanks to last-minute revision changes, their launch may be pushed back upwards of two weeks, while leading competitor Gigabyte is currently prepared for a smooth launch.

The official launch date has not been verified by Intel, but leaks speculate that it will be three weeks from now. Although the new chipset is quite similar to P35 which was launched this past May, it will bring features to the table that enthusiasts will appreciate, including dual GPU 16x PCI-E slots. That's something that's been previously only available on NVIDIA boards and also ASUS' own Blitz boards on the ATI side.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
gigabyte_x38dq6_090407.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
The sources indicated that Gigabyte's X38 motherboards were showcased at Computex Taipei this year, with the Ultra Durable 2 technology as its major selling point. Ultra Durable 2 features low RDS (on) MOSFET, ferrite core choke, and low ESR solid capacitors. The motherboards also use all-copper heatpipes. Although the costs of Gigabytes' motherboards are relatively high, the sources said they expect good market acceptability for the company's X38 motherboards.

Source: DigiTimes

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Hopefully this gives a significant advantage to Asus when their products launch. Not that I like Asus anymore than Gigabyte... I don't, but for them to delay a launch of a VERY anticipated chipset seems silly. Although, it likely wont hurt anything but their pride as we all know, they will have 27 different varieties of this chipset and all will sell extremely well.

I wonder want last minute revision changes they are making?

MakubeX

Partition Master
Good for Gigabyte. Two weeks is no big deal for Asus, though. I too wonder what changes are they making.

Still, if I were to buy a X38 board I would wait at least until Asus' boards are out, then wait for reviews and comparisons between Asus', Gigabyte's and any other manufacturer's boards before making my decision. I'm not about to buy the first X38 that pops out in the market. Maybe if I had a lot of money I would, but only then. :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"I'm not about to buy the first X38 that pops out in the market."

I agree with that... new components are too expensive to take chances on. That said, we will have a review of both Gigabyte's and ASUS' X38 boards when they become available. Gigabyte's review will likely be first, given this news here.

MakubeX

Partition Master
"I'm not about to buy the first X38 that pops out in the market."

I agree with that... new components are too expensive to take chances on. That said, we will have a review of both Gigabyte's and ASUS' X38 boards when they become available. Gigabyte's review will likely be first, given this news here.

Yeah, in your case I would definitely get the first X38 that pops out in the market.

Gotta keep those reviews hot. ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I should have worded my comment better. I meant that as, "We will be reviewing them both at launch, to let you know if it's worth the cash or not", heh.

price0331

Obliviot
Yeah id be happy with a mobo thatd actually tell you if it had insufficient power to turn on, or osme way of letting you know something is wrong.