Gigabyte I-RAM Storage Device

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
HotHardware posted a review of the I-RAM, which is basically a card you shove in a PCI slot. The cool thing is though, that it acts as a hard drive, depending on how much ram you input into it.

So, if you had 4 * 1GB sticks, you could have an ultra fast 4GB HDD. I can see how this would be beneficial, but 4GB is *not* a lot of space. That would be a lot of money for so little available space.

What do you guys think?

xstatic

Obliviot
werty316 said:
Pretty neat Idea but I don't think 4GBs is enough.

PCI slots are not used very often nowadays in computers. I know I got like 5 free PCI slots in my computer. Chaining together a number of these I-RAM units could give you a 20 gigabyte instant-access drive. There are many server applications where storing files on that instant-access drive would be useful.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
xstatic said:
PCI slots are not used very often nowadays in computers. I know I got like 5 free PCI slots in my computer. Chaining together a number of these I-RAM units could give you a 20 gigabyte instant-access drive. There are many server applications where storing files on that instant-access drive would be useful.

If you had the money for 20 1GB sticks, the *cheapest ($60 each)* you could get that for is $1,200. That's a pretty expensive 20GB drive.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
They are cool and there are benched to back up the speeds but I am with Rob, 4GB is a bit limited for most bloated operating systems. Awesome concept though and I certainly wouldn;t turn one down if I ever were offered one.

liqnit

E.M.I.
i think it is great for an OS or for PageFile .
a pagefile at the speed of Ram is great feature

Fr00zen

Obliviot
Does the storage space erase on this card when power is removed, or does it have a battery on the card to prevent lost of data when the power is turned off?

MaRm

Obliviot
Hey, you know they sell cheap ram disk software, and it would be a lot more cost effective then buying an I-RAM.

adabo24

Obliviot
MaRm said:
Hey, you know they sell cheap ram disk software, and it would be a lot more cost effective then buying an I-RAM.

Like Werty and Frozen said it has battery on the card, thus it would be better then a RAM disk program.

MaRm

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
If you had the money for 20 1GB sticks, the *cheapest ($60 each)* you could get that for is $1,200. That's a pretty expensive 20GB drive.

Insane to spend that much on it. Until the price comes down, I can not see anyone buying it.

fullpicture

Obliviot
MaRm said:
Insane to spend that much on it. Until the price comes down, I can not see anyone buying it.

Businesses who run million-dollar servers might use it. One thousand dollars would be a drop in a bucket to such corporations.