ghost image hard drive help...

Cobra26

E.M.I.
Hi all,

I have an ghost image of my c-drive with northon ghost i use it every 3 months.
The image consist of an image of windows xp and all the drivers.

Say i want to use my ghost image because of all the malware, virus, spyware and it will mess up my windows experience so its time for the image. Instead of a fresh install of xp and all the drivers and what not i use the image and its done in 20 min instead of hours. All i need to install is firefox, winrar, flash player, java, adobe reader, msn, thats it. So i use my ghost pure for clean and stabilty issues.

My question now is:

This is how it worked some one installed a fresh xp and all the drivers etc etc and made an image out of it on a bootable dvd.
When its time to use the image il go into the bios and set first boot priority for cd drive exit and then continue instead of windows welcome screen i get norton ghost welcome asking me to restore image i click yes and then you see a colomn of 0 to 100% when it reaches 100% i choose reboot and voila a fresh windows xp.

Say if i want a new hard drive (just the hard drive only) can i use the new hard drive and use the boot dvd? I assume the exe. image is burned on to the dvd but the ghost image itself is saved on the hard drive. What it does it reads the ghost from the hard drive while booting from the dvd.

Can i still use the image from the boot dvd with a new hard drive?
Or do i need to make an exact copy of my old drive to the new drive first in order to make the boot dvd work?

Thing is i dont know how to do this some one else did it for me.
Thanks in advance

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Howdy Cobra.

Ghost doesn't require an installation on the drive to be present When you copy an entire image onto a drive it overwrites whatever is there, so the necessary programs would have to be built into the bootable DVD itself. So you should not have any issue using a new hard drive.

Most motherboards have a hotkey to select the boot menu without needing to enter the BIOS... usually it is F8, sometimes F9 or F10. If you press F8 too late it will instead bring up the Windows boot menu instead, though!