Gateway's XHD3000 Now Works Under Linux (Somehow)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When I reviewed Gateway's XHD3000 a few months ago, I complained that Linux would not work with it at the native resolution. To me, that was a big problem, since I occasionally benchmark under Linux on our test rigs. Other than that though, the monitor was fantastic.

Well, sometime between then and now, the problem fixed. For fun, I hooked up the XHD3000 to my main machine, just to play around with dual-display possibilities, but in doing so, I expected the NVIDIA driver to default to 1280x800... the same resolution I've always been stuck to. I was quite surprised when I saw the native resolution of 2560x1600 become available, though, and applying it delivered the promised result.

I also tested the monitor by itself afterwards to make sure that it wasn't only enabled because I had it as a secondary display, and it again worked just fine. So we might very-well be at a point where all 30-inch displays should work under Linux with little issue, and from what I can tell, we might have NVIDIA to thank. For those interested in the monitor in question, you can click to read the review below. I liked it enough to buy one, which may very well speak for itself.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr></tbody></table>
Gateway, not content to let Dell and others hog the limelight in the display market, have recently launched their XHD3000 monitor. It offers a wide-range of connectivity options along with bright picture and an incredible upscaler. When said and done, this is one model we can heartily recommend.

Source: Gateway XHD3000 Review