Gateway UC7807u 13.3" Notebook

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When Gateway launched their UC series less than three months ago, the UC7807u retailed for $799. Today, the exact same model and configuration sits at $599. We'll tackle the reasons as to why inside, but let's just say, for $599, the UC7807u is one heck of a notebook, thanks to both being feature-packed and great-looking.

You can read our full article here and discuss it here!

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
I have to say, Rob, there are a couple things I disagree with here. First of all, 5.2lbs for only a 13.3" screen? That's a brick! My Macbook Pro 15" weighs almost the same amount! If you're buying a 13" book, odds are you're looking for portability and as such, weight matters.

My other niggle is the port location, but as you mention that is really a matter of personal taste. Audio ports SHOULD be more to the front to me, as if I'm plugging in headphones, I don't want the cord reaching all the way across the side - I'd much rather have it as close to the front as possible.

It is a great "bang for the buck" with its new price point, though - only $150 or so above top end netbooks and you end up with something much more full-featured.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree to an extent that 5.2 lbs isn't the most desirable weight to lug around all day, but given how solid the build is, and the feature-set, I don't consider it to be too bad. As for your MacBook Pro, Apple puts aesthetics above anyone else, and part of that goes into the price premium. I'm doubtful there will be another notebook of this price-range and feature-set that weighs much less than 5 lbs.

You have a good point with the ports, but for some reason, I find it completely inconvenient when the ports are at the front, or at least near the front. It might help that my headphone cord is <em>long</em>, so I really never have to be concerned with running out of it. But again, I'm likely in the minority, so fair enough.

U

Unregistered

Gateway UC7807 Replacement??

I like the look and features of the Gateway UC7807c, but you say it's been discontinued. I don't see it for sale online, so what have they replaced it with? Nothing? Seems like a mised opportunity for Gateway.

I also like the "moonstone" color - are there others in this color as well?

Peter