Gas Prices

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Good on Gas

Meh, I use about $10 a week for work and $5 for incidental driving. Gotta love having a 10mi round trip commute.
Seven miles there and seven miles back.
I have a ZX2 and it uses 1/2 a tank every two weeks....So I fill up once a month for 30 bucks ( 12 gal tank )

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
So guys, what's your latest price gouging price? Up to $1.40 a liter here in town. This is really a bad thing, I couldn't afford to drive my truck @ $1.20 a liter.....

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I filled up today at $3.89 a gallon. I drive a 2000 Dodge Stratus with a Mitsubishi V6. It gets decent gas millage but it still stings every time I fill it up. I also have a 96 Chevy 3500 V8. It's a big ass truck with a big ass engine. I drove to Cincinnati last weekend to help my sister move a few things out of a rental property of hers that she is trying to sell and the night before we left, we put $100 into the tank and just before we left Ohio to come back home, we filled it up again... that took another 70 bucks. It's asinine what fuel is going for but it's only going to get worse.

However, this might be a blessing in disguise, and I truly believe this. In the 70s, we saw the emergence of the foreign automobile craze. Honda and Toyota took over because they got great gas millage. The nation was in the middle of a gas shortage (which we might be heading towards now) and the market demanded more fuel efficient vehicles. This might force us to re-evaluate how we get to and from our destinations and it might kick the auto industry in the ass and force the bastards to do something with our vehicles. We have had virtually ZERO advancement in combustible engine millage over the past 30 years. Thats unacceptable.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Its a plot
The oil companies know that oil is depleting and the main theme is ( GREEN ) and oil is Not green in any aspect ( mayber it was a million years ago )
Technology has faltered due to greed, it could have grown into what we invisioned years ago.
Take for instance the electric car and the hydrogen car. Oil companies have discoraged any thing that would be detremental to their profits.
GM had an electric car years ago, and all of a sudden it was pulled from the market, it was a leased deal and GM had pressure from the oil companies, so they called in the lease and destroyed the cars.

Just my 2 cents

Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
And now GM is the hardest hit out of the big 3 and they are facing a real possibility of going under if their fortunes do not change soon. I call Karma if that does indeed happen.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Okay, That's why

Why is gas suddenly so expensive?

— Cole Turner
Detroit, Michigan

<ANSWER>June 24, 2008
These days, we’re all feeling more pain at the pump. Even before summer began in 2008, we’d already seen new records for the price of oil (a few cents short of $140 a barrel) and the price of gas (national average of more than $4 per gallon).
Just as you would suspect, as goes the price of oil, so goes the price of gas. According to the Energy Information Administration of the U.S. Department of Energy, the cost of crude oil accounts for 73 percent of the per-gallon price of gasoline. Here are a few of the many factors behind the recent surge in oil prices:
Supply versus demand. Here in the United States, the world’s most oil-addicted nation, demand has actually declined by about 1 percent. But growth in worldwide demand has more than offset that tiny dip. From 1990 to 2006, oil consumption from China and India has increased 216 percent and 114 percent, respectively. That pace is ahead of production, which is declining, particularly in non-OPEC countries (such as Mexico and Russia) that produce about 60 percent of global supplies. If and when “peak oil” will arrive remains hotly debated, but it’s crystal clear that the era of easy and cheap oil is over.
No new refineries. There hasn’t been a new oil refinery built in the United States since 1976. Why? They take billions of dollars and a decade or more to bring up to speed. With rising demand for alternatives to gas, and growing public pressure about global warming, oil companies are uneasy about investing in new refineries.
The decline of the dollar. Worldwide, oil is traded in dollars. With the greenback on a sharp decline against other currencies, foreign investors can buy more oil, which further fuels the fire of oil prices. As oil becomes more valuable, some investors buy it rather than stocks or property. In short, oil is the new gold.
Big oil “biggers” its profits? In 2007, the top five oil companies combined reported $123 billion in profits. A growing number of people, beyond environmentalists, are clamoring for a variety of responses, such as a windfall tax, an end to federal subsidies that support the oil industry, and/or requiring investment in renewable energy. For its part, big oil says its profits are not that different from other industries and it is doing everything it can to keep gas affordable.
Blame us treehuggers? Oil companies and their friends like to blame rising gas prices on environmental groups and their allies because they resist drilling in public lands such as the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). But America simply can’t drill its way to energy independence: Even the Bush administration’s research states that opening up ANWR would only lower gas prices by 1 cent ... in about 20 years.
What you can do. Realize that globally we still have relatively affordable gas: We pay less than half what British, French and German drivers pay. Nevertheless, the bar for U.S. gas prices has been raised — $4-per-gallon gas is no longer a distant possibility. Some analysts predict oil prices of more than $200 a barrel by 2012, which could translate to $7-per-gallon gas. If you have an SUV and don’t really need it, sell it now. Next time you’re car shopping, choose the most fuel-efficient vehicle you can afford that meets your everyday needs. Don’t fall for dealer gimmicks that pay for your gas when you buy a gas guzzler — you won’t save money over the long term. And support higher fuel economy standards, increased investment in public transportation and a national, urgent emphasis on developing renewable energy.
</ANSWER>— John Rockhold, managing editor, Mother Earth News

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, I do blame the tree huggers. Regardless of stance on drilling in the ANWR (I've seen photos of one particular area they wanted to drill, it's nothing like the pretty vistas ya typically see and was truly desolate), it would do substantially more than just a penny drop in prices. It'd give oil future speculators one less reason to be to ready to spike the prices of a barrel of crude at any given reason.

I've been driving around Houston helping my family out here during my summer break, and just recently learned California isn't the only place where it is mandated to have so much Ethanol in the gas supply. Here it is a Federal mandate of 10%. Real smart... now because of corn prices + flooding up in the midwest that wiped out a bunch of corn crops, they are now saying prices of gas will go UP here because of the Ethanol prices. Currently it is anywhere from $3.79-$4.10 give or take a dime and what side of town.

I'm already peeved about Ethanol in general, it has less chemical energy content than gasoline. Which means it takes more Ethanol to do the same distance gasoline gets you. So in effect, you lower your MPG using Ethanol and pay a bit more to do so. Genius.

Keep in mind prices were nowhere near what they are now in 2006. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2006/ethanol-10-06/overview/1006_ethanol_ov1_1.htm

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not up to snuff on the oil industry, but I found out recently from a friend why it's also so ridiculous in Canada. One of our provinces, Alberta, is rich with oil, yet we are all still paying a lot more at the pump. Why? It turns out they sell outside of the country and not within, because the rest of the country doesn't pay as much as other ones do.

Another reason has to do with retarded government battles with the oil industry here, but it still feels so foolish that we have so much oil here, yet prices still skyrocket.

And yeah, this is the cost of doing business, but it's still bizarre.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
NAFTA is completely to blame for fuel prices. Canada is forced to sell oil at current rates and to export much of their oil. Canada could easily be self-reliant for oil if we did not have to export it because of stupid treaties like NAFTA. It's too bad the next US president won't get rid of NAFTA since it would help Canada tremendously fix alot of these foolish import/export issues.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Heh, if you get rid of NAFTA then I'm sure you'll begin paying for import duties on some American goods. NAFTA is only the mechanism that makes it more profitable for them to export their oil than to sell it locally. Even without NAFTA you'd have to impose duties on oil exports to change that.

Texas is the #1 oil producing state and we also refine a good precentage of US oil here, but our prices are generally only 15 cents or so below the national average.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
We already pay outrageous prices for importing goods from the US and the US selectively ignores NAFTA for various products, especially soft-wood imports and farm subsidies that creates a very unfair advantage for US businesses. NAFTA is very one sided and benefits mostly the US. Believe me, disolving it would benefit Canada and Mexico far more and would put everyone back on a level playing field. Big business pushed for and got NAFTA because they are the real people in power in the US no matter what we are all led to believe.