Gamer Builds Functioning Scientific Calculator in Minecraft

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When I discovered Minecraft in its earlier stages of development, I was blown away by some of the things that people were building in the game. I hopped on and just messed around, but others were building some seriously complex buildings, landmarks, video game characters and so forth. And to think, that was just the beginning. Since then, some people with a lot of time on their hands have built things that are quite literally jaw-dropping.

minecraft_calculator_032212.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The only math you need to know for Minecraft is to count up to 64, and that 1 lightning strike added to 1 creeper equals mass destruction. ;)

marfig

No ROM battery
But let's not forget the fully functional 8bit computer on Dwarf Fortress. Designer notes here.

A very interesting idea to Sandbox games indeed, when they offer the ability to connect simple binary mechanisms and make use of fundamental circuits (gates and latches), such as Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress. With enough computing power on our machines and a tremendous amount of ingenuity and dedication it's only a matter of time when someone makes a computer that can run the game inside the game.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
But let's not forget the fully functional 8bit computer on Dwarf Fortress. Designer notes here.

A very interesting idea to Sandbox games indeed, when they offer the ability to connect simple binary mechanisms and make use of fundamental circuits (gates and latches), such as Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress. With enough computing power on our machines and a tremendous amount of ingenuity and dedication it's only a matter of time when someone makes a computer that can run the game inside the game.

It's frightening because you KNOW someone is working on that exact thought this very minute...

Still, really, really cool.