FutureShop of Horrors.

moon111

Coastermaker
I've been wanting to get a new monitor for quite some time. I'm still using an old 15" CRT. 24" prices are unrealistic for me. 22" seem to be just right.

Spotted a 22" on sale at Canada Computers. I've bought from them either from a tiny store front in Kingston, Ontario or online. Instead of driving or paying for shipping, why not price match a Future Shop? I called their 1-800 and was assured they would do it. So I changed my plans and went to their store to be told they only price match competitors prices. They don't consider Canada Computer, NCIX, Costco, Wal-Mart, etc to be retailers.

I checked their website to see their lowest price guarantee doesn't apply to:
restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, OEM products, limited or minimum quantity or limited time offers, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, financing or other special offers.

So basicly they guarantee that if there is a computer store somewhere they haven't heard about to disqualify as a competitor, that they'll match their
price only if it's almost as over-inflated as their own.

NicePants42

Partition Master
If you're on a budget, but want a large screen and don't mind a CRT, I heartily recommend trying to get your hands on a Sony FW900.

This thing is arguably the best CRT ever made, and has a 24" widescreen Trinitron tube. It weighs close to 100lbs, too.

The nice part is that they're getting old, and it's not that hard to find them for sale. A buddy of mine scored 4 (at once) on Ebay for just over $500, and sold one to me for $150. I run games on this thing at 1920x1200 @ 85hz! It is the single best PC purchase I've made.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Futureshop is horrible. It's the Best Buy of Canada, because they are owned by Best Buy. I buy very little there... music is one of them because they have great deals sometimes ($8 a pop) and perhaps blank media. When it comes to anything big though, I don't purchase unless I am not afraid to lose all the money I put into it if it dies early. Futureshop's customer service is the worst I've ever seen.

Naish

E.M.I.
I'll admit I bought my Samsung 226BW there, for the simple reason that I don't like shipping monitors from NCIX (it's a long way to go if it's got a dead pixel), and they had it on for 299$ (270$ since I had a student discount card).

I also sometimes pick up games there on release day since they have 'em on for 50$ most of the time.

Beyond that, I wouldn't buy much else there.

Naish

E.M.I.
What do I think of it?

If you're going to order online, use a site that's worth ordering from (NCIX, Newegg)... Honestly..
And while this one usually just applies to my own paranoia, NO open box items, ever. It was returned for a reason, usually a product fault :p.

Last edited:

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
I've had a decent amount of luck with open-box, and Newegg has a great return policy. I think I've RMA'd two items from them (both mechanical faults) in the past seven years.

moon111

Coastermaker
I would rather read reviews on the internet and order online then go to a Future Shop and deal with their business practices. I've gotten better customer support ordering online. The last time I walked into Futureshop their sales person asked if they could help, I said, "I'm just checking this out in person so I can go order it for much less online."

Naish

E.M.I.
That's a bit rude :p. On the other hand, Future Shop employees are known for avoiding customers and treating them fairly rudely anyway.

Futureshop had the Samsung 226BW on for 299$, -Student Discount, 270$. Nobody online is beating that at the moment, not that I could find anyway :).

Naish

E.M.I.
I'm in Canada, accross border shipping. I'm basically screwed if there are dead pixels. :p.

And that's a mail in rebate.

moon111

Coastermaker
That's a bit rude :p. On the other hand, Future Shop employees are known for avoiding customers and treating them fairly rudely anyway.

Futureshop had the Samsung 226BW on for 299$, -Student Discount, 270$. Nobody online is beating that at the moment, not that I could find anyway :).

That's the price I tried to price match at. They wouldn't do it. I bought my 226BW from Canada Computers instead. Showed up in perfect condition and couldn't be more pleased. The staff at FutureShop treated me like the enemy, for trying to give them my business instead.