Fun with the E8400

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Intel's new darling, the E8400, has proven quite the capable overclocking CPU. In fact, our fearless leader took his store bought (NOT an Intel direct engineering sample) all the way to 3.8 GHz on stock voltage.

Our friends over at Overclockers Anonymous, The LawnRanger specifically, has picked up his own E8400 and introduced it to some exotic cooling. Hit the link to follow his progress.

LONG LIVE AQUAMARK 3!

http://aqm4.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1712&st=0

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Got my E8400 today and started the build on an EVGA 780i.

Merlin

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hurry up and overclock that beast! Then save up for a new camera!

LOL.... As many images as I take a year, the Fuji does a decent job.
I over sharpened this one in PS.

Now I have to get RAM, a case and GPU ( I may wait till March when the new Nvidia GPU's come out ).

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I meant the picture is dark... I think you stood too close to the board, instead of standing back and zooming in (which would allow a lot better lighting).

Looking forward to seeing what kind of overclocks you hit though man... I am hoping to see similar overclocks that I did in our review a few weeks ago. It still impresses me to see 4GHz+ stable on an air cooler.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I just bought the ASUS P5N-D (750i chipset) and I will be getting a E8400 in the next 4-5 days. Can't wait to start tossing the dirt on this nightmare AMD rig...

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I just bought the ASUS P5N-D (750i chipset) and I will be getting a E8400 in the next 4-5 days. Can't wait to start tossing the dirt on this nightmare AMD rig...

Kewl,
I think I got the last one from tigerdirect, seems everyone is out of them.
Where did you find the E8400?

Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
On another forum, lol. It's a local deal, no shipping. I just have to wait until Wed to get it.

CoolZone

Obliviot
this cpu seems to be very good and a lot of people buy it considering that very few applications are built for quad core

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
It makes no sense for 90% of us to buy a Quad core. All a Quad core offers most enthusiasts is higher benchmark scores. So little software even takes full advantage of dual cores that Quads are silly. I have had a few Quad core PC's and can hardly notice the difference.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hurry up and overclock that beast! Then save up for a new camera!

LOL.....
Guess I need a little help to get started, I see all over the net that others are OC'ing the E8400. I checked in bios, ( EVGA 780i )....need to check bios revision.

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
E8400 OC

I found out why the FSB would not let me make any changes, I had the memory on auto instead of linked or nonlinked.
Anyway......I got it up to 3.4 non linked at a BUS 378 @6X and temps are around 30C idle and system board at 35C

Just one little factor was holding me from seeing the oc ability the mem link

Merlin
I'll try some more later.....still on the Zalmon 9700 cooler and all in details below

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Nice. I had to pass on getting the E8400. I settled for a used E6600 that should be here soon. Looking forward to seeing what that thing does!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good to hear that you are having fun with the overclocks. You definitely shouldn't have to touch the memory, though. I don't recall ever having to use anything other than Auto... there are so many dividers available, it will almost always keep close to the stock speed of DDR2-800.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The memory is a stock 1066 and I have it non linked so it won't fluctuate with the adjustment of the FSB

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
How's it going?
Any overclocking as yet?

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Yes. I currently have the QX9650 (couldn't find a E8x00 or ANY other 45nm CPU for that matter) and I am running 10X390 for 3.9GHz @ 1.3125 in bios and CPUZ reading 1.25V under load after Vdoop. Chipset is bumped up to 1.44V. Very stable board so far. I was worried with the Quad because it only has the 4-pin CPU Power connector, but it has been a rock. Same with the FSB. I have been creeping it up slowly, 100MHz at a time. Overall, I am VERY happy with this board and even happier I didn't spend almost twice as much for the 780i because this board has everything I need and nothing more.