Flash BIOS and system has shut down...

Tevilspek

Obliviot
So I'm about ready to cry...

Just got my new PC today, UT nF4 SLI-D, 7900gtx, 2gig OCZ Plat PC400..
Get everything installed, and software offers the program 'nvtune' (least I think that's the name, going off memory) - the nVidia self overclocking app.

One of the options is to flash the bios (yeah I can hear you cringing), so seeing as it looked to be an all in one program, I went to the DFI site, got the most recent BIOS for my motherboard (yes I'm sure I got the right one) and saved my old, then loaded the new one in and proceeded with the flashing.
It all went fine, said it was a success, and rebooted the PC.

Now... the PC failed to boot up. It turns on and runs but there is no power LED lit up. The computer does not kick in at all, no BIOS loaded up, monitor does not turn on.

All I get is the system running, fans going etc, and the red DEBUG LED lit up in the bottom left corner.

I tried switching the jumpers from the left to to the right two. I pulled out the battery, put it back in, moved the jumpers back, no change.

So I am sitting here looking at a brand new system that I've managed to f**k up on day one.

And thus I come here in the hopes of hearing some good news.. So please, if anyone can help, please let me know. I have no fkn idea what to do next.

Peace,
Tev.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Look in your manual (Yes, real men do read the manual) and see if there is a way of recovering the bios from a failed flash. If worse comes to worse you can pull a socketed bios chip (Store it in an anti-static bag), drive down to the local PC shop that carries your board and pay them $20 to hot swap your chip for one in a stock (As in store stock) mobo and flash it with the bios.

I've done this procedure before and it's simple. You hook a vidcard, floppy and PSU to the good mobo, boot it to a dos floppy with the flash proggy and bios .bin on it, pull the bios chip out of the board as it's running (A mobo doesn't need the chip one it's booted) and pop in your bios chip, open the flash utility and flash the bios.

All is not lost. Good luck!

Tevilspek

Obliviot
Thankyou for the reply Madmat.

Yeah I downloaded the newest manual, no mention of how to recover from a failed flash.

As to the next parts, I have had no problems building my own PCs (this one I got put together in the shop due to me not wanting to destroy a $$$ component...) but I wouldn't know where the BIOS chip or anything technical like that is.

I guess I'll phone around tomorrow (11pm here) and see if any stores close to me stock the DFI boards. The company who put it together are a 9-5 Mon to Friday outfit sadly.

Man.. I can't fkn believe this.. Trust me to find some way to totally ruin a new PC.. haha fark..

madmat

Soup Nazi
Don't be too hard on yourself. These things happen, this just illustrates why you should only use a MFG. windows utility to flash a bios or do it in dos. Consider it a learning experience.

Tevilspek

Obliviot
Hehe yeah.. when something seems all too easy.. it usually is.

Looks like I'll be buying a new motherboard haha.

Thanks for all the help Madmat, will see what I can sort out.

Peace.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I've got a question for you, the lights in the loer left corner, how many of them are on? Knowing that will help figure out what might be the problem.

Clear procedure:

4 red lights = system start-up
3 red lights = CPU detected
2 red lights = DRAM detected
1 red light = VGA detected
0 red lights = system boot-up

Something that worked for me in a similiar no post situation:

1. Unplug the PSU
2. Set the jumper to the clear position
3. Disconnect all 4 power plugs to the board
4. pop the battery out
5. Leave it set for 10 minutes
6. put the jumper in the run position
7. pop the battery back in
8. Plug the 4 power plugs in
9. plug in the psu

You might also try pressing the insert key on the KB while powering up the system, sometimes it'll get you into the system, sometimes it won't.

These guys over at DFI-Street are pretty helpful, is worth a try going there and ask for some info.......:eek:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd try two things, but what sbrehm mentioned is good.

1) Make sure you are moving the proper BIOS switch. It's near the BIOS battery (3 pins) and needs to be moved to the top 2 in order to flash it. Then back to the bottom two afterwards.

2) Unplugged the PC from the wall and let it sit overnight. Sometimes this works also.

If you can't get a new BIOS chip from a local computer shop, I am sure you can get one direct from DFI. Good luck.