First MegaUpload - Who's Next?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As we posted yesterday, popular file-sharing website MegaUpload was taken down by US authorities for a number of different reasons. A big one was that the company behind the site was accused of taking in $175 million in "criminal proceeds", while at the same time causing loses of $500 million to the affected companies. One thing I didn't catch in the story is that there are numerous other charges laid on the site's founder and his staff - all of which by itself could put them behind bars for a long time.

megaupload_011912.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Totalitarianism has begun!! Its just like those 80s Hollywood movies of the future, it all looks so real now! :(

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Interesting... makes a sort of sense though, oddly enough. Given just how much money those guys were making off the site they probably had a ton of free time to kill.

As a side note, it is interesting that Filesonic and FileServe both have pulled link sharing from their sites. They only allow the original uploader to download, now.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As a side note, it is interesting that Filesonic and FileServe both have pulled link sharing from their sites. They only allow the original uploader to download, now.

I don't blame them. Get out while the going's good. I'd do the same. No doubt a lot of the owners of these sites are millionaires, and looking at 20+ years in prison isn't intriguing for anyone.

Haha, I am almost afraid to ask how that correlates with this topic!