First Fully-Functioning Artificial Heart Valued at $182,000

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
We might be enjoying a day where hearts being ripped out of chests seems like a lot of fun, but the sad reality is that many people die each year due to heart-related cancers, and we desperately need a solution. Saying that "many people die" is a gross understatement though, as the official number is actually above 17 million worldwide... every single year.

French inventors might have a solution, though. They've created the world's first fully functional heart, which uses aerospace technology to a great degree. As you'd expect, the cost for one of these is not low, at $192,000, but if it's a matter of life or death, money might not be your main concern. There's little question that most people don't have that kind of money lying around though, so hopefully if the invention takes off, material prices would continually go down.

The heart uses electric sensors to both monitor and control the heart rate and blood flow, making it a very hands-off operation. If all goes according to plan, having one of these "installed" inside of you should feel no different than having a regular heart transplant, except this replacement will likely last a lot longer. So if you want to potentially live longer, start saving up some coinage, as this is something that I'd highly doubt would be covered by any insurance.

artificial_heart_103108.jpg

In the past there have been artificial hearts, like the much hyped Jarvik heart, however they were only a temporary fix while awaiting transplant. The key problem was that they could not adjust their pumping like a biological heart, and could only be adjusted externally. This limited their usefulness.

Source: DailyTech

Drew

E.M.I.
I wonder if this artificial heart produces a pulse rate in the patient or not? The previous artificial heart that the article spoke of with the external pump produced no pulse at all in it's patient.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's a good question... and not one I have an answer for, that's for sure. The question is, and this might sound naive, but is there a reason for a noticable pulse than to just be more realistic? I'm assuming if the heart stopped working, it wouldn't take took long to find out.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I wonder if this artificial heart produces a pulse rate in the patient or not? The previous artificial heart that the article spoke of with the external pump produced no pulse at all in it's patient.
LOL, a pulse is a surge of blood through veins and arteries, You would have to have a pulse

Merlin

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I'll wait for the quad pump to come out later this century. Smaller and has Nano technology.
And also you could run more operations per cycle.
I think Zalman has a cooler for this as well

Merlin ( in humor )

Drew

E.M.I.
The question is, and this might sound naive, but is there a reason for a noticable pulse than to just be more realistic?

No not naive at all. I just thought of it because if the "owner" of the heart was involved in an accident where emergency responders were called and was unconscious, those responders would check for a pulse and breathing rates. Finding no pulse they may begin performing CPR and the pressure put on the chest during CPR could cause damaged to the heart and a lot bigger problems for the patient.

The other artificial heart the article spoke of was external, easily visible and marked, saw it on the news some guy in Quebec, Canada has one. The external artificial heart also doesn't produce a pulse because the stream of blood going through the body is a constant pressure stream not a sudden push forced through by a muscle reaction. From what I read about this heart I am not sure weather the pressure adjustment the internal heart uses would be like a natural beating heart or when the heart senses more blood is needed during activity or what have you, just increases the steady pressure.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Well, supposedly it is the only artificial heart that uses two pumps just like a real heart. So it could be possible... it would just require they configure the pumps to pulse/surge instead of maintain a steady flow. Then again thinking about it, I don't think they would want a "surge", unless they can be extremely precise about dialing it in how much of a surge in blood pressure it causes?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good point Drew, I didn't think of that.

I think if it came down to me needing one of these things, I'd just opt for the Iron Man model. At least then, emergency services would not expect much of a pulse.

Drew

E.M.I.
Good point Drew, I didn't think of that.

I think if it came down to me needing one of these things, I'd just opt for the Iron Man model. At least then, emergency services would not expect much of a pulse.

If you ever got one Rob I would be the first responder so you'd be safe. MORE OR LESS ;)