First Fruityloops trance song

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The "Fruity Loops" moniker has been gone for a while; the proper name is "FL Studio" ;-)

I used the program a while ago, but would like to give it another "spin". Been meaning to create some music for ages, but due to a lack of time and dedication, I've been a bit slack. Been also considering Ableton, though don't want to commit to that until I feel like splurging on both the software and some accompanying hardware.

I checked out the song and there are some good elements there, though of course it's kind of sporadic in nature (I assume that's on purpose, and this is more of a show of different elements). How long have you been using FL Studio to get this to point, and are you using just a mouse and keyboard or do you have any tools on the side (like a controller)?

Might have to download a trial soon and just goof around. I can't believe how inexpensive the software is nowadays; it's probably a bit insulting to some DJs since it allows people to create their own music that can actually sound just as "professional" as it can get (deadmau5's usage of it proves that).

Keep it up man! Looking forward to hearing more.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Not to bad GFreeman. I haven't created an audio track since I had a Vortex 2 sound card....wait I'm that old? Movin on. I like how it is easy to listen to and doesn't overwhelm your ears at any point, but it just ends really quickly. That's all I got.

GFreeman

Coastermaker
I agree with you two, it sounds a bit plain this song. It's actually the first song that I've created. I am just using FL studio for a couple of days really. Still using the program in pattern mode as well. I should be having a look on any further tutorials to move it up. The song itself is unfinished indeed it ends a bit weirdly. I have to come up with a build-up. Use a more dominant baseline and more variety in instruments. The song needs an intro, climax moment and outro as well.. Yeah it does take some time to get some inspiration. I'm using keyboard and mouse as well, which isn't really great for creating music I suppose. But it is fun if you get it together! :)

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I used FL a little, I made a couple but I never got around to making it any longer, it was like the first 30-60 seconds lol I do have all the stuff laying around somewhere. I have been thinking of installing it and playing with it some maybe make some good beats or something, dunno.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Short sweet simple, didn't like the clicking at the end. Other then that better then the first. 3.5 here.

GFreeman

Coastermaker
Thanks awfully! ;) Well this certainly is not easy to start with. My opinion is that music made by deejays doesn't require that much of musician excellence, but you gotta have some music understanding and feeling for music. I still think though that music made by human instruments is more of an achievement. One thing that is true is that a deejay needs understanding of the different instruments and elements in a song. Not just your own instrument when you are a musician.

It is fun to play around a little with FL studio every now and then. I have focussed on the beat, other sounds and baseline on that last song. Next time I'm going to make a melody first and make a baseline that suits to that after. I find the other way round more difficult. I am very critic when it comes to liking a song. I guess I gotta be okay with less nice songs in the beginning LOL!

Last edited: