Firefox 3.6.3 (Lorentz) beta

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Firefox has released a beta of the much anticipated plugin isolation, meaning the collapse of flash does not mean the collapse of Firefox as well. I'm giving it a test now, i'll let you know if there are any major failings..... and yes, i think we're all aware of Chrome's ability to do this already, so don't go bashing please.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Well, after a fair bit of testing, the results are largely positive. When a plugin like Quicktime, Silverlight or Flash startup, it opens a new process called mozilla-runtime.exe. when a plugin misbehaves, the process quits and all other tabs that use the plugin will stop. Reload the tab and the plugin is reengaged, don't need to restart firefox.

FF363beta001.png

To test it yourself, you can go to the following website and after a few seconds, flash will fail. Don't go if you're using the normal firefox, it will make you crash.

http://flashcrash.dempsky.org/

All my extensions are working fine, no clashes that i could see, but i seem to be having problems with the built in spell-checker, might be unrelated, don't know.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm so glad to see Mozilla finally get this implemented, as it's one of the best features of Chrome. I don't have major Flash-related issues like you do, but on Linux, I do have the odd site that will end up crashing the browser, and I'm certain Flash is the reason.

I'm very, very tempted to upgrade to the beta, but might hold off. Not a fan of using betas for software I use constantly. *resists temptation*

By the way, that URL works well, haha.