Finding love online, via social networking tools

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When most people think of "online dating", it's with a dedicated website (like eHarmony), but with the ever-increasing use of various social networking services, more and more people are meeting future partners where they'd least expect it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17518013

It's kind of interesting. Hang out on a service like Instragram and who knows, you might just meet someone!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I personally know a good 8 or 9 people who met through online games (even encouraged a couple :p). First its casual chat, next they're doing quests naked, then running around and playing tag in-between giant dinosaurs (don't ask).

Ahh... the good old days of online gaming...

marfig

No ROM battery
Hehe, Tharic-Nar. Spot on! Popcap games used to run an online javascript casual game of poker. You'd basically just play by drawing cards and scoring. You didn't play against others. The game had a chat room (it was basically more a glorified chat room, than an actual game) , where you'd play and talk with other people. I personally know a couple that meet there. He traveled around the globe to go to her and are still married today, some 10+ years later.

One success story among dozens of unsuccessful ones. For that reason worth mention.

I personally have no aversion to the thought of... "online love". In fact I'm way in favor of it. I'm a romantic for most purposes. A realistic romantic, if you can live with the apparent contradiction, but a romantic nonetheless. And fully believe that the odds your better-half lives in the same country, on the same city and within eyesight distance of your daily routine throughout your entire life, are next to none.