Finally broke 30 seconds in Super Pi!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, what a pain in the ass this trip has been. I've been trying for a few months to break 30 seconds in the 1 Million digit count in Super Pi, and it's finally happened. It really shouldn't have been this difficult, so I have yet to figure out why.

To reach 29.813 seconds, the CPU was overclocked to 2.91GHz and the memory (2 * 512MB Ballistix PC4000) was overclocked to DDR584 speeds. I know the CAS of the memory was 3, but I still should be hitting at least 28 seconds. Oh well.. some day. CPU's only hitting like 48ºC load as well.. which is good, but doesn't help figure out the problem.

Attachments

• superpi_3200.jpg
    superpi_3200.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 797

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Rob, you will hate me but not 15 minutes after you got your Pi time, I went one more step.

With Ciento's pushing, :D , I was able to get to 29.563s. This was with the Sandy at 2.8GHz and the Ballistix at 254 @ 2.5-2-2-7. There is a screeny of it on the AQM4 forums (where you should post your score as well).

I now propose a run off between you and I to see who can get the lowest Pi times with our systems. I think we got 28 second machines here man.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, grats man! I have terrible luck with mine, so I have no real idea why it's not better. If I was able to manage CAS 2.5 on the modules, I think I could have gotten an even better score. Some afternoon when I have more time, I will have to try again. Heck, I hit 30.130 with a 2GB kit, so even that's not so bad.

By the way, I posted that score over at the AQ4 forums before here :p

Blumen

Coastermaker
Yeah, well...

I get 44.578...

Nice score, both of you, but you both got more in there. Greg, i'm still not sure why CBiD isn't working for you like it should.... Let me look up and see if the right settings are in A64 tweaker, or if you need a different version.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Ciento,

I can command my RAM timings under the Cache/Controller option. Is that what you are thinking about perhaps?

Blumen

Coastermaker

^I'm looking for all of those. You can gain a decent amount tweaking the other write to precharge and that stuff.

I'm sure you already know this... i'm just pointing it out on the offchance you didn't do it yet. ;) Kindof like the other tweak that i showed you that put you under another .1 or whatever.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you like, we can turn this into a race for 27 seconds

Don't make me kill my CPU! Welcome to the forums man :D

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Hey Silly! Welcome to the forums. And as always, kudos to you and your brother on that setup, it really kicks arse!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, nice stuff! That's quite the setup you have there. I doubt I will ever go beyond normal water cooling, but we'll see.

341 could be the max HTT for the board.. it wouldn't surprise me. Unless you have some fussier memory, but I doubt that. Now I feel like overclocking again :(

Look what you did!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, nice! Nothing like being able to torture others equipment :-D

Would be fun to see if you have a similar 341FSB limit with those though.

Blumen

Coastermaker
Gah.... didn't happen.... this thing isn't clocking for shite at this point... i have no clue why......