Few PSP questions

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey guys,

I am thinking about picking up a PSP, but am not sure about what the battery life is like, or the selection of games. It's one system I really haven't paid much attention to.

I have a DS right now, but the system, kind of like the Wii, does nothing for me. Mario was a blast, but I haven't really seen any other games to grab my attention (Except FFIII, that's on my pick up list).

Anyone else have a PSP? I am curious as to your thoughts.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I do not own a PSP but I have a friend with one. He likes his Wii better but loves the PSP all the same. I have played with it and it really is enjoyable. I haven't worked with it enough to get a strong feel for the battery life but he hasnt complained about his once.

leecho7

Partition Master
I don't know how the new shipments of PSP's are, but I know when they first came out, the battery life was about 3-4 hours. One game that is awesome, especially if you're into online gaming, is Twisted Metal for the PSP. I don't own a PSP or the game, but I had a lot of time to play with my roommate's.
Personally though, I really find no need for a PSP. I know it sounds odd, but it does way too much for a portable.
The reason why I like my DS is because I can play and stop anytime. The PSP is actually like a console. With that said, whats the point of buying a weaker running hand held console device that costs almost as much as two used ps2's and/or xbox's? Now unless you're into UMDs and watching dvds on the go. Even then you can just get a portable DVD player, cause UMD movies are pricey.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Just get the damned PSP Rob. We will need something that I can play on the plane to CES! Seriously. If you think I am talking to your ass the entire way there, you're sorely mistaken.

Actually, another neat feature of the PSP is the WiFi. On my home wireless network, I had no problems at all getting it to work. Even browsed Techgage.com on the thing. The ad-hoc wireless networking capabilities are nice as well. Get a bunch of PSP owners togeather and multiplayer it up. I think it's up to 16 people can join but I am not sure on that one. But I also believe the DS had this capability too, again, not sure on that one as well.

So in conclusion, get the PSP, and maybe some good movies so I can drug your drink and use it all for myself.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha Lee, I can't bring two PS2's and an Xbox on a plane :p

The reason I'd want a PSP is for the games... that's it. I don't give half a shit about movies (I watch two -real- movies a year) nor do I care about WiFi. It's all about the games.

But looking at sites like IGN... it seems that there are a LOT more horrible games than their are good games, while the DS offers a lot of quality titles.

Can't have it all :\

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yes, but how will this benefit me?

Just kidding. I know that Tiger Woods is an enjoyable game, if you can tolerate golf. As for any of the others, I cannot vouch. My friend enjoys socom, thats a thought.

leecho7

Partition Master
You can so totally bring two ps2's and xbox's on a plane. You just can't take em out and play them like you could with a PSP.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Ahh, the love. :D

Have you ever worked with a PSP Rob? If not, I will get my friends when you come down here and you can play around with it and get a feel for whether or not you want to purchase one.

leecho7

Partition Master
I am offended by that remark Rob. I may be an ass, but I am certainly NOT smart!
I say good day to you sir!

In all seriousness, if you travel often or you find yourself waiting for something out of your house quite frequently, then the PSP is probably worth it.
As for games, like I mentioned earlier, Twisted Metal is a fun title for the PSP. I also tried Ace Combat for the PSP and that was actually pretty decent. I don't think you can go wrong with the Grand Theft Auto titles on the PSP as well. However, STAY AWAY FROM FPS ON THE PSP! There is no way you can possibly make a competent control scheme without two analog sticks for a fps.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I just carry around the original XBOX with a large battery pack and the small LCD screen that can be added on to it. They hate me on the planes.

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
I own one and I'd have to say they are really fun. If you enjoy a NDS, then I'm sure you'd like one of these just as well. And it has Dynasty Warriors! XD I was playing that in the hospital waiting room, and had several people ask me about the system.

My only complaint is the placement of the analog control. It doesn't bother me all that much, but it does my husband because, well his hands are bigger than mine. XD It gets a little uncomfortable after a while. One game to avoid is Monster Hunter. XD Trust me.