Fee-Based Subscription Gaming on Linux

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
The notion: Fee-based subscription games can have clients developed for Linux operating systems, since the fee is what really generates the bulk of revenue for fee-based subscription online gaming, not the initial client software purchase. This requires a slight shift in the business model, since the client software will need to be given away for free, but in order to use the client, the user will need to subscribe to the online service. Making this change in the business model for online gaming will open the Linux platform to a universe of new online games.

Discuss.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
kinda like a FTP mmo that charges for items. Only now the items are not optional.

Honestly I like the FTP ones almost as much as I do the PTP ones. I just wish they had that little extra development. Im sure the same would be the case in this scenario.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Fee-based games work for me. I already subscribe to an MMO.. it's the same thing, really. Depends on the game though... if it's an offline game, I am not sure why I'd "subscribe" to it.