Favorite MMORPG games?

andanton

Obliviot
List your all time favorite MMORPG games?

My own answer to the question:

Asheron's Call is my 1st all time favorite MMORPG. That game was awesome!! The developers constantly provided new quests each month. This was the first MMORPG to have a monthly quest system. Was great items / weapons / character classes / largest map I ever seen. By far it was the best MMORPG I ever played. It really went downhill in recent years, but in its prime it was very good.

World of Warcraft is my 2nd all time favorite MMORPG. Awesome PVE and PVPer MMORPG. By far the best PVP MMORPG I ever played. Asheron Call had a poorly designed PVP system. World of Warcraft utterly blows away Asheron's Call for PVP fun. I also love the PVE and characer leveling in World of Warcraft. My only complaint is it gets boring and tiresome after so much time leveling.

izzie

Obliviot
Ultima Online was my favorite MMORPG. Extremely addictive at the time.

I know there have been newer games since then, but I'm too afraid to touch another MMORPG. Can't afford to get addicted to another game while in college :)

xstatic

Obliviot
Ultima Online was my favorite MMORPG too. It was also legal in that game to sell off your chars or items. When I quit playing that game I sold my account and used the money I got to get a new PC!! Can't beat that....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Asheron's Call here.. by far the best MMO of all time in my opinion. I am still a subscriber and play occasionally. That says a lot for a game that's 6 years old.

Ben

Site Developer
I played Lineage 2, WoW, and EQ2 but each not for very long, but I liked EQ2 the best.

Yaotl

Obliviot
Asheron's Call.....nothing comes remotely close to it...

Many of the more recent MMO's are a step backwards, not forwards.

I'll try to think of a few things off the top of my head:

- massive, UNIQUE, seamless world. No instancing.
- fantastic loot system
- Run skill - yes you can actually run fast! And jump high! And it's useful in combat!
- complex quests that are more than your WoW FedEx'ing....
- as a melee, when you connect, it feels like you actually hit the enemy. None of the "waving at fresh air" you get in other games.
- Solid entities in PVP. You don't just run through the enemy....
- you can login, play for only 30 minutes, and actually do something fun
- a PVP server where death actually means something

I could probably go on forever.......

Fr00zen

Obliviot
Asheron's Call also was my favorite.

Been a lot of votes for that game.

Surprising that more people rate that as the best MMORPG over WoW.

andanton

Obliviot
Fr00zen said:
Asheron's Call also was my favorite.

Been a lot of votes for that game.

Surprising that more people rate that as the best MMORPG over WoW.

I'm surprised too.....

When I created this thread and started the conversation going, I originally thought that most people would vote WoW. Never imagined that would be so many people saying Asheron's Call.

The same company that produced Asheron's Call has created the Dungeon and Dragons Online game. That may be a good choice for all the Asheron Call fans. I'm thinking of getting it myself.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I currently play no MMORPG. I can't seem to make myself pay a mothly fee when I am as busy as I am. Not that the interest isnt there, its the time that isnt.

GeekGirl

Obliviot
I have beta'd / played:

Eve
Guild Wars
World of Warcraft
EQ2
Dark Age of Camelot
City of Heroes/Villains
Asheron's Call
Asheron's Call 2
Saga of Ryzom
Anarchy Online
Ultima Online
Everquest
Planetside
Jumpgate
Toontown
Rubies of Eventide
Rose Online
Shadowbane
Matrix Online
Neocron
Horizons
Star Wars Galaxies
There
Blademistress
Auto Assault
and Seed
*edit*(Forgot Earth & Beyond, Uru, and Mourning, and Wish)

and I can say, with authority, hands down Asheron's Call (1) is the best game period.

Last edited:

GeekGirl

Obliviot
DarkSynergy there are several free mmos right now including Guild Wars (box purchase only) and Anarchy Online (base games only). But hey it's something!

DarkSynergy said:
I currently play no MMORPG. I can't seem to make myself pay a mothly fee when I am as busy as I am. Not that the interest isnt there, its the time that isnt.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
GeekGirl said:
I have beta'd / played:

Eve
Guild Wars
World of Warcraft
EQ2
Dark Age of Camelot
City of Heroes/Villains
Asheron's Call
Asheron's Call 2
Saga of Ryzom
Anarchy Online
Ultima Online
Everquest
Planetside
Jumpgate
Toontown
Rubies of Eventide
Rose Online
Shadowbane
Matrix Online
Neocron
Horizons
Star Wars Galaxies
There
Blademistress
Auto Assault
and Seed
*edit*(Forgot Earth & Beyond, Uru, and Mourning, and Wish)

and I can say, with authority, hands down Asheron's Call (1) is the best game period.

Bah, I completely forgot about Wish. It was actually pretty decent in Alpha... sad to see it not fully develop really.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I've played ROSE Online
Guild Wars
World of Warcraft
FlyFF
Maple Story
RFO Rising Force Online
Out of all of those I liked GW only because it was free and I had a guild to go do stuff with. The others I was basically on my own. Rose wasn't so bad either, and was the first mmorpg I played. Not counting Runescape, which.. yah I won't go there.

Last edited: