Favorite Linux Distro?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
My ultimate favorite Linux distro for a while has been SuSE.. 9.0 specifically. It's a great looking distro, with a lot of great features. It's definately the distro to go for if you have never used Linux before, but are interested in doing so.

SuSE is now owned by Novell now though, and it looks like you can only buy the OS, instead of just downloading it. Think I may end up buying a copy of the newer version though.. I have an evaluation copy, and it seems pretty sweet.

So, any other *nix users here?

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
Well, Rob, the only "*nix" OS I have used was RedHat 9.x. I felt it was a pain in the ass to install. It might have been me or the box that I was using.

leecho7

Partition Master
I've been using Windows XP for years now, but a bunch of my buddies told me Linux is better. Is it worth the switch? Cause all I do is listen to music, write up papers and play video games on my comp (all at the same time! Booyah!)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Mike, for people who've never installed Linux before.. it usually is a pain to install.

Lee, Linux sucks for games, unless you have extremely limited tastes hehe. It's better to have a Dual boot with XP and Linux, so that you can use Windows just for games, and Nix for everything else.

brettmar

Obliviot
My favorite Distro is Slackware. I love everything about it.

Linux of course makes a much better server OS than a Client workstation, although it can do both. Removing a lot of the .o files in the kernel will really boost the performance though, bringing it to 2004395349085345908345% more reliable and faster than your normal windows OS.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
brettmar said:
My favorite Distro is Slackware. I love everything about it.

Linux of course makes a much better server OS than a Client workstation, although it can do both. Removing a lot of the .o files in the kernel will really boost the performance though, bringing it to 2004395349085345908345% more reliable and faster than your normal windows OS.

Late reply, aye. But I never heard of that technique before. I'll have to look into that more, lol.