Fake Apple Stores that Look Like the Real Thing

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In much of the world, piracy isn't just something that exists, it's a way of life. This is especially true in countries such as China (and Asia in general) where you never have to go far to find pirated software, movies, clothing, luxury goods, and even entire stores. It's true. Due to the general lack of IP enforcement in China, people can usually get away with imitating a legitimate business and not risk legal punishment.

apple_store_fake_072211.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Well, that's an eye opener.

I guess I always thought that knock offs are sold in dark alleys or on street corners from a shady looking dude in a dirty trench coat.

Pull that stuff here and it's jail time, bub!

MacMan

Partition Master
And now the video:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HCKtdbSCadA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HCKtdbSCadA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

marfig

No ROM battery
Reminds me of Xerox stores... (well, back when there were actually Xerox stores, lol).

I was reminded of them, because they involve a story I know well. The very first pirate store over here was also the first one to become an official Xerox store a couple years later

See where I'm getting at? :rolleyes:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Heh, not likely to happen! Probably every single device and accessory in that fake store is one of those fake Apple devices... there's no way they could afford to buy real ones at market price and sell them, let alone the customers being able to afford US-prices on such devices.

marfig

No ROM battery
hmm... didn't actually thought they were selling fake apple computers, ipads or iphones. How can one possibly fake these? Just thought they were unlicensed by apple.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Now the biggest cons that we have at Xerox are what we call Toner Phoners. People who call businesses that they've somehow found own Xerox's and sell them fake toner.

I haven't run into one of those in ages though.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
hmm... didn't actually thought they were selling fake apple computers, ipads or iphones. How can one possibly fake these? Just thought they were unlicensed by apple.

Apple won't allow it's manufacturers to produce unlicensed products, Apple is even more vigorous than most companies when it comes to securing their products whether it is the design and prototype phase, or the manufacturing and protection of IP. And given the costs involved, I don't think a fake store could afford to sell genuine Apple products by buying them off the real market to resell (Partly because Apple doesn't offer much in the way of discounts to select types of buyers unlike most companies, and because the average buyer there can't afford US/European prices on any product. I don't see how they would have a real source)

Apple-fakes are a major business, there are unlabeled and labeled Apple fakes being sold throughout Asia already, including to ebay. It wouldn't be any trouble at all to source a shop full of fake products given how strong IP piracy and the is over there. Even real, tangible products like bread, eggs, milk, and meat get "faked" over there by major corporations, you really don't want to know how. But if you do, the Wall Street Journal has some stomach turning articles for you... A funny part I remember from one such article, was that the bread and meat in supermarkets was at higher risk of being fake than the local 1-man bakery or meat vendor, in many cases.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
Yeah. It seems I need a crash course on modern piracy practices. :)
Been loosing track ever since it became more than just copying CDs.

MacMan

Partition Master
Heh, not likely to happen! Probably every single device and accessory in that fake store is one of those fake Apple devices... there's no way they could afford to buy real ones at market price and sell them, let alone the customers being able to afford US-prices on such devices.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the products are genuine Apple products that where obtained like any other retailer, and all at the same prices as Apple's web site.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/07/21/china-fake-apple-store-clerk-speaks-out/

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
According to the Wall Street Journal, the products are genuine Apple products that where obtained like any other retailer, and all at the same prices as Apple's web site.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/07/21/china-fake-apple-store-clerk-speaks-out/

Wow, now that's amusing WSJ picked up the story. Thanks for the link and correction!

The site indicates they don't know where the fake store sources its products, so I'm not ready to completely rule out that they're not fake on the word of one employee... but if they are indeed real, I guess Apple is marketing their devices in China at regional pricing... and I would be very curious to know the source!

marfig

No ROM battery
Possibly, since some factories are located around there, from felonious managers. The horror stories around Foxconn practices have become so common place, it wouldn't come as a surprise to me some of its managers also conducted side businesses on Apple's expense.