external hard drive help

kzmoon

Obliviot
i'm looking to purchase a external hard drive to back up data,video,music. i like the look of the maxtor blackarmor. the capacity i need is at least 500gb-and up to 1tb i prefer the larger size,it needs to stay slim in size to fit in my suit pocket like james bond. it also needs to have goverment or law enforcement type encryption and simple to use on most computers so i can download and transfer files quickly.also antivirus software for this device.security is a must.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi kzmoon:

To be portable, the largest you are going to be able to go right now would be 500GB. There isn't anything larger outside of the 2.5" form factor, and it seems you want something you can keep in your jacket that's not going to be a nuisance. One option right now would be from Western Digital, the My Passport Elite:

http://westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=517

That drive includes software to encrypt data in AES 128-bit, which is very secure. The downside of any encryption is that you'll have to have the software on any PC that you want to decrypt (I assume you'll need a password to make it available). From what it seems, it won't encrypt the entire drive, but just the folders/files you want.

That looks like the best option on the market right now as far as I can see.