eVGA's UV Plus+ USB Graphics Adapters Now Available

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
While at CES this year, eVGA surprised me when they pointed to a small square box sitting on a table. What could eVGA have to do with such a small and simple-looking product, I thought. Well, upon further inspection, it turned out to be a gadget for adding displays to your rig, which I later found out was handled by a DisplayLink USB graphics chip.

I took a deeper look at DisplayLink in February and was actually floored by how easy it was to setup. The installation was simple, and performance (non-3D) was incredible. For those who are <strike>too lazy</strike> not interested in checking out the article, the concept is simple. With the help of USB connectors, and this device, you can hook up to four additional displays, all from the same PC.

The benefits are obvious. It means you don't need a second GPU or to open your PC at all. Or for notebook users, it means you can use multiple displays with ease. The exact device I took a look at was rather plain in style, but thankfully, eVGA had no intention of holding back. Their UV Plus+ series are gorgeous in comparison, as you can see in the below photo.

Two models will be immediately available, the UV-16 and UV-12. The former will allow up to 1680x1050 per display, while the latter will allow up to 1400x1050 or 1440x900. So far, I found NewEgg to carry the UV-16 for a reasonable $80.99 (the competition is well over $100). Now all we need is perfected Mac OS X drivers and hopefully in the near future, some Linux support.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
evga_uvplus_050608.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
PALO ALTO, CALIF.--
(BUSINESS WIRE)--DisplayLink and EVGA today announced that they have teamed to deliver a new generation of affordable USB graphics adapters (UGAs) for mass-market retail consumers. EVGA’s new UV Plus+ Family of products which consists of the UV12 and UV16 USB graphics adapters, are based on DisplayLink network display technology, enabling Windows XP and Vista users to quickly and easily connect multiple displays to a PC or notebook via simple USB connection.

Source: DisplayLink & eVGA Press Release