EVGA Shows Off Drool-Worthy SR-2 Enthusiast PC

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Since CES, EVGA's SR-2 motherboard has been the focus of much hype, and for good reason. For one, the board is simply huge, and two, it offers a lot of things that normal enthusiast offerings do not. The most important feature of course being the dual-processor support. Unlike any other DP motherboard, the SR-2 redefines high-end, and it's in all regards drool-worthy.

evga_sr2_01_060110_thumb.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

dlb

Obliviot
WOW!

Yup - Truly a beast!! I'm surprised they didn't blow a circuit in the hotel room!! LOL Just out of curiosity, what kind of CPU coolers are shown in the pic? They have the CoolerMaster logo, but they've obviously been customized. Are they a modified Hyper212+??

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I think those are customized Cooler Master V10s.

The case itself looks identical to the Cooler Master HAF-X, also known as the HAF 942. This is a new case launching at Computex, I am very eager to check it out given it might be capable of fitting a full size PA140.3 in the top.

I am guessing here but I am pretty sure that was an early prototype unit used here. The final HAF 942 has been improved in several key areas, but the biggest clue is that the 942 has blue USB 3 ports on the front now.

eunoia

Partition Master
Doesn't the HAF-X have a black interior as well? I'm going to guess they modded an ATCS 840.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It does. The case does look more like an ATCS 840.

The kicker is none of these cases except the HAF-X have the required 9 PCI slots to fit the SR-2 (or Gigabyte UD9). It requires a major redesign of the case to add these slots, it's no simple mod! :eek:

But now that you said that, you may be right. Take the HAF-X case, and just attach the ATSC 840 top/front bezels, enlarging them as needed...

eunoia

Partition Master
I forgot about the 9 PCI slots, that IS a tough mod, maybe why there's a monitor strategically placed to hide the hatchet marks, haha. (Incidentally on one of those shots it says GTX 480 right on the monitor...:D They look smaller because the mobo is a soccer field.)

I'm also curious about the heatsinks, could this be a new product?

This is what makes trade shows so exciting, raw powerrrr and shiny newness, just think in 5 years this computer will be "O.K. for the older 2-D games" ;)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I could always be wrong, but I'm going to say no. I don't think EVGA is willing to have their name branded on the coolers, case, graphics cards, and power supply as that sort of product placement takes an investment. If they went to that an extreme they might as well brand their own RAM and sell an entire EVGA computer. :D

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Those are definitely 480s not 470s, the 470 doesn't have heatpipes. Maybe that's what they are heading towards Kougar, they sell just about everything else so why not full PCs?