eVGA 7800 GT PCI-E 256MB

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are looking for a killer gaming card, but find the 7800GTX too expensive, then you will want to check out the recently released 7800GT. It's been scaled down to 20 Pipes and 7 Vertex Units but it still packs a massive punch. We are taking a look at the eVGA version, which comes pre-overclocked! Time to see what this beast can do.

evga_7800gt_logo.gif

After reading the review here, please feel free to leave your comments in this thread. You do not need to register, but please fill in a name!

E

eclipse

nice! this is your first video card review, no? amusingly i wasn't even aware that the 7800gt was out yet before i saw this :p

ps- get on aim, i gotta talk to you about something

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Woot!

Nice review, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Very in depth and to the point. Now lets get our CS:S on! jk....good review!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
WOOT! eVga has just put a sticky on their forums linking to this review! Good to see your hard work is going noticed! Again, great review.

A

andrew

more info on warrarty!?

ive heard evga only includes actual physical damage as a way of voiding there warranty, cause i have a 6800gt agp now and thinking of a evga 7800gt (with pci-e motherboard of course :p ) as my next upgrade

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have talked with eVga on a couple of occasions and their warranty is only voided for physical damage. OC it, flash it wrong...whatever you want, as long as there isnt any physical damage to the card, they will honor the warranty. eVga is really stepping up the heat on BFG who has one of the best, bad ass warranties available at the moment. I know a guy who I talked to on another forum who was given an AGP 6800 Ultra that was defective from another member of that forum. The card had a hole cut in it with a dremel tool on top of the fact that the card wouldn't work and they replaced the card with a new one. That is customer service! You will not be disappointed with a GT and thats a fact. I am getting 505/1200 clocks with mine and with better cooling I know there is more in her.

A

andrew

Wow

Looks like im gonna sell my bfg 6800gt and go with evga, doesnt seem like there are any downsides to that, :), thanks for the help guys

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hehe, cool. You'll love the card for sure. My main gripe with the 6800GT were temps, and the eVGA keeps pretty cool even in my high ambient room.

The card just seems to take anything I throw at it, it's great. Grats on the new card :D

A

andrew

quick question

i got one more thing to ask, i have a thermaltake silent purepower 480w ps, is this suffeciant to run the 7800gt? i am using a bfg 6800gt now, and my other components are amd 3200+ winchester, seagate sata 160gb, 1x dvd drive, 1x cd drive, 2gb ram, sound blaster audigy 2 zs, msi k8t neo 2 f, any help would be very much appreciated

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You'll be fine! The 7800GTX use less power than the 6800 Ultra, so I'm sure it's the same for the GT's. 480 is more than enough for all your components though.

J

Jason

i think wut alot of reviews r missing out there is the noise level factor. its would be nice to know how loud this thing gets at full load and when its idle. also if its compared to other cards, which is louder etc. cuz in the end no matter the performance, no 1 wants a leaf blower in their room.
other than that it was a great review.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have no idea on the exact dB level, but it's a *very* quiet card. If I have any other sound going at all in my room, even a TV, I can't hear my computer. Even if all is quiet, the computer is very very quiet.

I still love this card!

J

Jason

thank you so much for responding bout the noise level.

have u tested out the XFC 7800 GT yet? its clocked a tab bit higher at 450 mhz and has a stronger bundle than this evga 7800gt. including games like: X² -The Threat PC Game
FarCry PC Game
MotoGP - Ultimate Racing Technology 2

im having a hard time deciding between the 2 and ur opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I would not choose the XFX just for 5MHz more core speed, but if you really want the games then that may be how you want to go. If you are more concerned about clockspeed, then maybe the suped up 7800GT CO from eVGA might be more your style.

Personally, If the eVGA and XFX were the same price, I'd likely go with XFX *if* I wanted the games. However, I really like eVGA because you are allowed to overclock and install custom coolers without voiding the lifetime warranty.

I forget what type of warranty XFX has, but eVGA's is tough to beat.

J

Jason

ya the lifetime warrenty does sound really good. and the games aren't really a big concern.. considering i have 2/3 of them.

u say that u oc'd ur card to:
eVGA 7800GT (470/1.12)

is that with the stock fan?

also have u noticed n e artifacts in games like cs:source?

i currently have a sapphire x800xt. and during cs i see these weird colors on the walls and on my gun. like dots of green, pink, purple. in some maps but not all. pisses me off, thas why im planning to sell this and get 1 of the cards in my previous post.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nope, 470MHz is completely stable, and on stock air.

Actually, a lot of people who do have the same card managed to get much higher overclocks than me. Some have gotten it to 500MHz with Air, although I'm sure that's rare.

Either way, going from an X800, not that it's a bad card to begin with, you may not even care about overclocking it further, unless you are an overclocking junky like me.

There will be a world of difference, so any way you go, you will not be kicking your ass later.

J

Jason

alright thnx 4 ur input. i think i might jus pick up 1 of these instead of the xfc 7800 gt now haha.

J

Jason

alright thnx 4 ur input. i think i might jus pick up 1 of these instead of the xfc 7800 gt now haha.