EVE Online Coming to Mac and Linux

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Here's something that didn't come up in our interview with CCP last week! According to ShackNews, EVE Online will have both a Mac OS X and Linux client by years-end, with the help of TransGaming. Apparently, the game was already playable in Linux via Cedega, but this catered solution should prove more reliable.

Although I am not a fan of EVE personally, I have to hand it to CCP for knowing how to push and market their game. When it first launched, it "flopped" by many people's considerations. Even I thought it would be shut down rather quickly. But CCP took the game, turned things around and now the game has over 200,000 players. If only other MMO publishers took a lesson (aka Turbine with their Asheron Call series). The fact that they are now going to cater to all three operating systems is a big step forward also one that should be mimicked by others.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
eve_online_linux_mac_091107.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
The move is the result of a partnership with TransGaming, a Canadian company specializing in platform redevelopment. EVE Online was already playable on Linux through Cedega, a Windows shell for Linux users. Now the game will be totally converted using TransGaming's tasty Cider engine. "By integrating TransGaming's excellent technology, we are able to keep our laser-focus on evolving EVE Online, while sim ultaneously expanding the EVE universe to even more players," quipped CCP chief technical officer Halldor Fannar.

Source: ShackNews

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Biggest timesink ever, and it doesn't even require you to be online to sink your time. As long as you are willing to pay the subscription fees, you can gain skill simply by changing your learning (logging on 5 minutes a day or less).

I don't think this is a good idea for them, as new players to the game generally fall off fast, due to the wide span between existing accounts and new accounts, and no way other than time (and subscription fees) to decrease that gap. Your skills don't increase by use, or gaining xp, only time. Still, what do they have to lose?

Promethious

Obliviot
yes but thats the beauty of eve online.. cause you see i already play guild wars and we all know how much time mmo's take up. so eve makes this easy for me heehee. guess you have to have been playing mmo's as long as i do to see the benifit of it.

Xel

Obliviot
This is awesome - I have a new Mac and would love to be able to play a few more games on it than are currently available.

--Xel

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
So... you're paying to play EVE, but you're playing the NCSoft Free-to-Play game Guild Wars?

Wow, I've been playing MMOs since... well my first was NightmareLPMud, then Armageddon.org... and eventually those newfangled graphical ones like Everquest and I still don't see the benefit. :wink:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Some people pay $60 for a game like Heavenly Sword and beat it in seven hours. Compare this to those who pay $15 a month for a game they can easily play for 40+ hours each month. Sounds like a good value to me.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
A horrible game being expanded to a wider base of people.

Ask me how i really feel about it... 0.o