Epic Releases Unreal Development Kit

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
In what should please up-and-coming game developers everywhere, Epic today announced the release of the "Unreal Development Kit", a full-blown toolset based around Unreal Engine 3, for free. That's right... the same tools that were used to develop such games as Batman: Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Borderlands, Gears of War, Mass Effect and of course, Unreal Tournament 3, can now be had to anyone looking to utilize the tools to either learn, or develop their own non-profit game.

That last point is the main caveat. Although Epic is kind enough to release its robust tools for free, publishing games developed with the tools is restricted to non-profit games or applications. For commercial software, you'll need to refer to Epic's licensing page. Depending on the number of game developers, the prices given could be manageable even if a modest fee for the game was made, but there are far too many angles to look at things from, to say the least.

Even though this kit is to be used for non-commercial / educational use, its release is a huge win for game developers who have wanted to experiment and learn the tools but were previously unable to. This should help give developers exactly the experience they need with such a mainstream engine, and hopefully land them a good job. It's also a great thing for hobbyists, or mod-builders, who do intend to release their product for free.

What the entire kit includes is the Unreal Engine 3 engine itself, and its editor, the Content Browser that makes searching and using game assets a breeze, UnrealScript, an OOP-based programming language, Unreal Cascade, an advanced editor for particle physics and environmental effects, and even support for NVIDIA's PhysX, should you want to take advantage of it. There's much, much more to this, so I recommend reading through the press release, and then going to download the UDK.

unreal_editor_110509.jpg

An unprecedented milestone in game development, the release of UDK awards free access to the same world-class tools and technology used by many of the world’s best video game developers and publishers. Unreal Engine 3 is a constantly evolving game engine, and UDK contains all the most recently added features and technological enhancements, including many that have yet to be seen in an Unreal Engine game. Furthermore, Epic Games will release ongoing, upgraded builds of UDK for free.

Source: Epic Press Release

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
downloaded it and was doing some messing around..didnot get anything ofcourse.. watched a tutorial on youtube and finally got something.....can u make ur own games with this thing?!?

can ONE man do it all?!?
can ONE man make the difference?!? :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You sound ambitious, which is great. Can one man create a great game? Of course, but as far as I'm concerned, not one that's built with the Unreal Engine. The engine is designed for huge focus on graphics, audio, and other complex features, and one man just can't handle all this. It depends on the size of the game, but where game development is concerned, there's no such thing as someone who excels at it all, and even if there was, that person could work 24/7 and still not have enough time to product a quality title.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
You sound ambitious, which is great. Can one man create a great game? Of course, but as far as I'm concerned, not one that's built with the Unreal Engine. The engine is designed for huge focus on graphics, audio, and other complex features, and one man just can't handle all this. It depends on the size of the game, but where game development is concerned, there's no such thing as someone who excels at it all, and even if there was, that person could work 24/7 and still not have enough time to product a quality title.

yeah, that be true! well, i'll keep working on small stuff..mostly coding..

Syrix

Obliviot
Whoa, it's actually free!

And as Doomsday asked, "Can ONE man make a difference?!"

Man that sounds epic! It's possible yes, but i think if you find team of people as ambitious as you, i bet you could actually do some low-budget game...

^^

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Whoa, it's actually free!

And as Doomsday asked, "Can ONE man make a difference?!"

Man that sounds epic! It's possible yes, but i think if you find team of people as ambitious as you, i bet you could actually do some low-budget game...

^^
well, i have started applying to UK universities for BSc Computer Games Technology.

Even though i am doing BS Computer Science here, i just can't go on any more, i can't feel.. i mean, i want to do something i have a passion for and i want to learn how to design and make games properly from a proper institution.... I hope UK is the right decision. Atleast, hopefully, it'll open up some grounds for me in this field! :)
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">