en7950gt...below expectations...

ccdarkness

Obliviot
Hi everyone...
maybe someone can tell me because i don't get it...i bought Asus EN7950GT 5112ddr3 (550/1450stock-650/1550OC)...but i don't see much difference between this card and my previous Leadtek 6600gt...i mean there is a diffrence...but not what i expected. i have 17" monitor so i can play in 1024xx768@85Hz. I play a lot of GRAW. ofcourse now i'm playing with almost all details at MAX and still get about 30fps average...but if you look at specs of this card, and 6600gt the diffrence must be much bigger, i think. i've just installed DiRT...in 1024x768 i need to turn almost all to LOW level...and still get around 20-25fps..i have athlon64, 1gb ddr. i was wondering if i put another 1GB of ram will it perform better??? or maybe another CPU?? (but i don't think games are pushing more on CPU, it's GPU that makes the diffrence)...or maybe it's my memory? i don't even know the name of manufacturer :D it's not a performance memory for sure! so i need some advise from you..i've read some review about en7950GT (here on techgage.com) and i saw GRAW performing in ~1680 ("I am pretty impressed here. At 1680*1050 with nearly maxed out settings (8xAF as opposed to 16xAF), we received 55FPS." http://techgage.com/article/asus_en7950gt_htdp_512mb/3)
if i want to buy a new LCD, would i be able to play at higher res?? otherwise it dont worth it...
so i'm waiting for your comments&sugestions...
thanks

madmat

Soup Nazi
It could be the driver you're running, it could be the OS is running with too much overhead, I dunno. The card should give you more than that though so something isn't right.

ccdarkness

Obliviot
i have ForceWare 94.24 installed...the latest. Win XP SP2.. pretty loaded maybe ;) about 2.2GB of free disk space on partition with Win...maybe it's because of my memory..it's messed up. i have 1x512 & 2x256 ddr...i will try to run games on clean system. but right now i don't want to format&install...

Last edited:

ccdarkness

Obliviot
nope... i have 80GB HDD - 40/40. and both are full... you are saying that i install another copy of win and try to run games there? to see if OS is the problem? maybe i'll be able to free some space on "D:", about 10GB's.. (i don't know how to make dual boot)
thanks...

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Card is majorly CPU bottlenecked for one. Running a higher resolution will help ease that, but running a single core CPU without the benefit of dual channel memory is just gonna seriously kill performance no matter what happens on the software level.

You need to get that CPU up to 2.6GHz or more to help it out otherwise you just won't get the performance boost you are looking for. Getting a X2 would also be a boost since the current drivers are all optimised for dual cores. Getting some matching ram for dual chennel operation would also go a very long way to help overall system performance.

Last edited:

ccdarkness

Obliviot
hi
i'm thinking of buying some DDR, (2x1GB dual channel kit) but the problem is i have Mobo that doesn't support ddr2... and from what i saw DDR2 is cheaper than DDR... so changing motherboard, CPU, memory ... it's almost changing whole PC :) and i don't want to spend so much money on it...not now (it's summer you know ;) )
thanks anyway...

madmat

Soup Nazi
Look around and you'll find killer deals on used DDR in larger forums. It's getting to be like PC100/133 was after the mainstream switch to DDR came about, cheap as dirt as people stop using it. You could likely pick up PC4000 DDR for around $100 for a 2-Gig kit which isn't that bad and I've seen 170 Opty's for $114 at Newegg which are OC'ing to some really impressive levels at stock voltages. Around 2.7-2.8 which is really good. After doing that you'd probably see a real increase in frame rates.

ccdarkness

Obliviot
hi...
madmat: thanks for advise, but newegg is not working on international scale as far as i know...
another question: if i change my Athlon64 3200+@2000ghz with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz ... what you say??? and put some DDR ofcourse...
thanks guys for advises... waiting for more :D

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
You are gonna need at least 2.6GHz and probably more to feel any difference. You'd get a nice boost from a X2 dual core because they have optimized the drivers for dual cores.

As for your ram, you will get a quite large overall system performance boost and a boost in graphics power with 2 matching sticks of ram running in dual channel. Plus, if you get some decent ram, you'll be able to overclock the entire system better.

One last note, what power supply are you using? An underpowered power supply can also hurt 3D performance and is a very bad idea when running high end video cards.

ccdarkness

Obliviot
i'm using 600W PSU. Delux DLP 34A. it has 6pin connector for Video card. there is no problem with power.
thanks...

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Yeah, the power supply wouldn't be to blame for slow performance. It would only be the culprit if the system experiences random shutdowns and restarts under load.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I've seen instances of cheap power supplies causing the video card to throttle or other system issues. I agree it isn't common, but it is something to look at. Plus, a Delux DLP sounds like an off brand which is not capable of delivering the specs it says on the sticker, a very common problem for cheap power supplies.

ccdarkness

Obliviot
i don't think PSU can cause problem ... after i bought 7950GT i didn't had this supply, windows was telling me that i don't have enough power...but now it's ok!

Last edited: