Edler Scrolls IV: Oblivion

leecho7

Partition Master
I pre-ordered my copy ever since Ebgames/Gamestop started taking pre-orders. I'm looking forward to this game. I pre-ordered a copy for the PC, but I'm worried my system wont be able to handle it. The money I saved up to totally revamp my PC was spent towards buying a new used car.
Anyone know the recommended requirements for this game?

spiffyp

Obliviot
Sure do!

Minimum :
Windows XP
512MB System RAM
2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card
and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
8x DVD-ROM drive
4.6 GB free hard disk space
DirectX 9.0c (included)
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
Keyboard, Mouse

Recommended :
3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB System RAM
ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Word is that it just went gold & will be released on 03/20.

leecho7

Partition Master
Hmmm... seems I meet the minimum requirements except for the memory, which I have double.

AMD XP 2400
1gig PC2700 in dual channel
300gig Maxtor somethin with 16mb of cache
EVGA Geforce 6600 128mb

spiffyp

Obliviot
Well, that's pretty much the exact same rig I'm running.
Except I have an ATI 9800 Pro 128mb.

It will run it, but I have no idea how well.

Here's to hoping!!!!

leecho7

Partition Master
Woohoo! My system is able to play it, and the game looks beautiful... but anything beyond about 3-5 feet away from my character looks bland and blurred out. I got stuck in a tree once because it 'loaded' right when I ran into it.

The game is awesome. Can't wait for the mods to start flooding in, and can't wait to upgrade my computer to truly see what this game has to offer (visually).

fullpicture

Obliviot
leecho7 said:
Hmmm... seems I meet the minimum requirements except for the memory

Running any game at minimum requirements is as slow as moasses (did I spell that word right?)

They should rename minimum requirements to instead "insanely slow speed requirements".

I never even think about buying a game, if I only have minimum requirements or slightly better.

leecho7

Partition Master
The game actually runs really smooth on my rig, but the graphics aren't as neat and polished as in the screenshots. But it gets the job done, and I'm having a blast.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Getting it today....

I am wondering if I should go PC or XBOX 360.

Any suggestions?!?

leecho7

Partition Master
PC! Sure the xbox might look better than most PC systems out there, but once the mod community starts doing the thing they do best, the game is literally endless.

Remember Morrowind and it's endless barrage of mods/total conversions?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I certainly do remember. I also remember the bugs that both versions had. Hopefully those are absent in this round as well.

werty316

Partition Master
Wasn't this released on the 20th? I have my copy already and even though I don't like some RPGs I might play around with this one.

ducarti

Obliviot
The thing that I didn't care about Morrowind was it was TOO open-ended. I believe RPG games should be open-ended to a point, but not ridiculously open-ended that it makes the RPG totally unrealistic. I shall give an analogy. Imagine a World War II game that was extremely open-ended where you play Winston Churchhill, you could play your version of Winston Churchill as anything you wanted: a prime minisiter, a general, a soldier, or even play in a "regular job" like a used-car salesman, or any other real life job. You decide to play a used-car salesman and raise a family. You play the game in London, you live your life and NEVER even hear a bomb go off, you never see even a sign of smoke in the sky, you raise a family, your family has kids, and so on. You keep playing the game for 200 years worth of game time. After 200 years of game time, the war is still going on and nobody has won. That is Morrowind. It was so open-ended that it became totally and incredibly unrealistic in the process.

I suspect that Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion, is exactly the same way.

Last edited:

Ben

Site Developer
I just picked this up today and its great! Lots to do so far, i've just been focusing on the main quest. It runs just fine on my old system too (Athlon Xp 2500, 1GB Ram, 9600 Pro 128MB).

I would suggest anyone interested pick it up!