EA To Acquire Mythic Entertainment

GeekGirl

Obliviot
Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Virginia-based Mythic Entertainment®. Upon completion of the acquisition, Mythic Entertainment will become EA Mythic, a wholly-owned studio dedicated to developing Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs). Mythic is recognized worldwide for revolutionizing the online gaming space with the award-winning Dark Age of Camelot® and is currently developing Warhammer® Online: Age of Reckoning(TM) under license agreement with Games Workshop.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow, that comes as a surprised. I wonder what will happen to the DAoC franchise, or if they are still letting it run seperate from EA's dealings?

Hopefully this is for the better. It's interesting to note that it took this long for EA to finally take a taste of the MMO market.

GeekGirl

Obliviot
Mark Jacobs posted this on the Warhammer Alliance forums.
As you can imagine, it's been a rather interesting few weeks at Mythic. I promise to post a much longer letter here but the rest of the day is filled with interviews and questions and then I fly out for a few days with the folks at EA. I'll try to find time to post here during that time but if I can't, I will do so upon my return.

As always, there is nothing wrong with being skeptical, worried or cynical (traits that are near and dear to my heart) but we will prove over the next 15 months why we deserved your trust and faith from the beginning.

WAR is still coming and nothing will change, except for the better and nothing will stop that.

I'll leave you will one final bit, we didn't need to do this deal, we chose to do this deal because of what it meant to Mythic today and to our company going forward. It was a grand slam home run.

Mark
Notice no mention of DAOC.....<!-- / message -->

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ugh. I still know a lot of people who play that game. It would suck to have the rug pulled from under their feet.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
EA is known for some detailed work though when it comes to games... and trying to make everything in an enviroment interactive to one extent or another.

It would be nice to see some of their style in a MMO.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Probably sports players.
EA and the Madden Franchise have invested a lot in stifling innovation in sports games. Much the same with Blizzard, many developers fear the 8-ton gorilla in the room and don't want to compete in their markets.

jwied

Obliviot
Wow that sucks if you ask me. I've always held EA on the same pedestal as Microsoft ... both companies souls' are owned by the devil.

EA still has the rights to System Shock and now Mythic... I hope they don't get involved too much in Warhammer as it was looking promising.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Warhammer was largely developed after the EA/Mythic merger.
Original thread is a little old, but that game is shaping up quite nicely, I hear.

Xel

Obliviot
Meh - I was never a fan of Mythics games anyways. I am more of an EQ-type person than anything else.

--Xel

ComradeWolf

Obliviot
Warhammer: Age of Reckoning is expected to be a very, very good game, one very interesting feature is their public quest system, I am sure that it will be one of the top MMORPGs out there today, and for years to come.

santb

Obliviot
I'd love to see that game. Not amassive fan of warhammer the physical game, but comp game was decent enough.