EA Marks Down Nearly Entire Origin Catalogue for Black Friday

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With Battlefield 3, EA has successfully managed to get millions of gamers to install its Origin game client on their PCs, so what better way to keep people around by offering some killer Black Friday deals on most titles in the entire catalogue? We're talking Steam-like price-drops in some cases here. Don't own Battlefield 3 yet? Now you can, for $29.99. Been wanting to pick up Batman: Arkham City? It's here, for $24.99.

ea_origin_black_friday_112411.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If anyone missed out on any of these deals, the same ones are going on today for Cyber Monday.

TCS: Did you try The Run yet? How is it? Still pondering picking it up.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Surprisingly, the game was labeled under Yahoo's "10 Biggest Overhyped Games of 2011." IMO, it was epic. I loved the SP, and the Frostbite 2.0 Engine just makes it flatout BEAUTIFUL. My only gripe with it is because there are certain scenes (such as the beginning of the game) where you're trying to escape either the mafia or police on foot, and it's all scripted where at certain points you have to hit or repeatedly hit the correct button. If you don't, you fail and have to start the cutscene over again. Other than that, the game is fantastic. It hit the overhyped games list just because the critics were comparing it to Hot Pursuit.

You can also go online and race your buddies on Origin. Haven't tried that yet, but I plan to. Oh, one more thing. I downloaded this game via torrent to try it out before I spent money on it (Got a repack version that was only 6GB). Played a bit of it, liked it, then I saw this article. So I went and bought it. Once I purchased it I was thinking "Oh great, now to download a nearly 18GB game" (yes you read that correctly). To my surprise, Origin detected the torrent version of the game as the legitimate version, and as soon as I purchased it I clicked "play" in Origin and the game booted up, this time with the Autolog features enabled. Heh.

freddie-mercury-meme3-e1316972334944.png

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright, I am going to pick it up, heh. I have been a big NFS fan since the series' inception, so this is too hard to ignore for $20. I am still backlogged a bit though... still have Shift, Shift 2, Hot Pursuit and Undercover installed and not even touched! I might use The Run as a way to get back into the series, and once it's cleared out, tackle the other ones.

eunoia

Partition Master
Has ORIGIN changed their EULA from the one that basically says "we can come to your house and sodomize your sister" that was going around during BF3 Beta?

eunoia

Partition Master
Good to know, that was ridiculous.

Are the people who paid $59.99 for BF3 pissed it's half-price a month after release?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good to know, that was ridiculous.

Are the people who paid $59.99 for BF3 pissed it's half-price a month after release?

It's no worse than Battlefield: Bad Company 2 going down to $20 permanently two months after release ;-)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I played the game for an hour last night, and so far it's not too bad. The graphics are just okay, despite being based on the Frostbite 2 engine. I think it's a lot better looking than most Need for Speed games as of late, but it still didn't impress me as much as say, F1 2011 or even Test Drive Unlimited 2.

The story is good in theory, but the way it's executed leaves a lot to be desired. The lines are just horrible... I cringed everytime a cutscene kicked off. And to hear "Thanks, got it" by the driver everytime a new level began... ugh.

It's funny, but playing so many other racing games has made me realize just how lenient NFS' controls are. I was taking corners in the most impossible way, and not spinning out when I should have. That said, NFS has always had a bit more of an arcade-like feel, and for that, it's been quite good so far. I don't love the idea of a linear racer, but it's hard to get such a wide variety in tracks any other way.

Hoping to dive back into it more tonight.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
So, you think it's worth the money?

I've been playing C&C: Renegade lately. Given it's from 2002, the AI is pretty dumb, but it's still really fun.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
At $20 it's sure worth the cash, but at $50... no. I'd wait for it to drop down in price for sure.

eunoia

Partition Master
Kinda stopped asking "Is this for real?" as regards EA, but something else EA will have to back off from, and a pattern for their corporate mindset is coalescing:

EA Is Criminally Insane

Last edited: