E6600 @ 4GHz on Water, Windows Bootable

MakubeX

Partition Master
Made it to 4Ghz on EVGA 680i A1, Windows bootable:

All was done in BIOS. No Clockgen what so ever. :)

I'm really glad I went with this mobo. I know I said this before but thanks again for the suggestion Rob :techgage:.
beer2.gif

CPU-Z Validation link: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=191356

21b12811.jpg

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That is one sweet overclock! I've never taken the time to find the "max" overclock for my E6600, but I am wanting to try now. I am not quite sure I will come close to that one... How much voltage were you pumping into that baby?

Babrbarossa

Obliviot
Holy Camoly- I'm more impressed with the SuperPi time than the OC- I can't break 16 seconds at 3.9GHz (e6400)- good memory, and the extra 2MB Cache must count for alot with SuperPi

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
That is ALOT of voltage without phase type cooling. What are your 24/7 clocks/voltages?

As for PI, it's all about the L2 cache........

MakubeX

Partition Master
That is ALOT of voltage without phase type cooling. What are your 24/7 clocks/voltages?

As for PI, it's all about the L2 cache........
For 24/7, a LOT less:

CPU clock: 3.3GHz

vCore: 1.43v in BIOS. 1.39~1.38v actual.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Why is it the BIOS voltage is always higher than what it actually is? I am not sure if this is just with the eVGA board, but it's something I noticed, since it tells you the current voltage right beside your selection. 1.7V is a lot regardless. You gotta be careful ;-)

MakubeX

Partition Master
Why is it the BIOS voltage is always higher than what it actually is? I am not sure if this is just with the eVGA board, but it's something I noticed, since it tells you the current voltage right beside your selection. 1.7V is a lot regardless. You gotta be careful ;-)

This not just the eVGA board nor it is a problem of the 680i chipset alone. This is what it's called vdroop. It happens on most Intel boards, some more than others.

The only board I've used that wasn't affected by this was the Asus P5W64 WS Pro. This is because this board was designed to overvolt. The actual voltage was always higher than what you set in BIOS. This was done to compensate for vdroop, but it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

I only took it to 1.7v for the OC, I would never run it at such high voltage 24/7. ;)

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
My board also overvolts a tad.

Those are some sick clocks you can bench with. Definitely one of the better CPU's out there, nice job!

Babrbarossa

Obliviot
When you say VDroop, do you mean the difference between what you set the voltage at in the Bios, and what the bios reports as "Current Value" (right next to the entered voltage)? I thought that was VDroop too, and told someone as much on the evga forum the other day, but I was chided for it.

I was told that the "Current Value" voltage as reported in the Bios was lower because the voltages work on some sort of multiplier system, much the way the the RAM frequencies do, so that they are only approximated to your entered setting (as close as it can go, given the multipliers or ratios or whatever the heck it's using without going over)- can anyone confirm or deny this, or shed further light on it?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
To be 100% technical, Vdroop is the voltage drop from your CPU @ idle to full load. ASUS boards are the biggest offenders. My current board is the exact opposite. It slightly overvolts from what you set in bios, and it droops to exactly what you set in bios under full load. Thank you DFI for digital power management......

MakubeX

Partition Master
To be 100% technical, Vdroop is the voltage drop from your CPU @ idle to full load. ASUS boards are the biggest offenders. My current board is the exact opposite. It slightly overvolts from what you set in bios, and it droops to exactly what you set in bios under full load. Thank you DFI for digital power management......

No, not necessarily from idle to load. Vdroop is present in idle and under load.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Correct, but the Vdroop that people modify their boards for and care the most about is from idle to load. Idling, your CPU could droop quite far and not cause instability, but under load it makes a HUGE difference.

We're both right, LOL!

MakubeX

Partition Master
Correct, but the Vdroop that people modify their boards for and care the most about is from idle to load. Idling, your CPU could droop quite far and not cause instability, but under load it makes a HUGE difference.

We're both right, LOL!
Sorry, but no.

You said:
To be 100% technical, Vdroop is the voltage drop from your CPU @ idle to full load.
That is wrong. It doesn't matter what people mostly mod it for, a fact is a fact.

PS. I have a ~0.04v difference from "actual" to BIOS when in idle and just 0.01v less when under load. So, believe me, if I vmod my mobo it won't be just for load voltages.

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I cannot agree with you. Very few modders pay attention to the differences in bios and in windows. They pay attention to the difference between idle and load in windows. The Vdroop mods are specifically aimed at that, not at fixing the difference between bios and windows. Vdroop mods DO NOT fix that. I have never seen a mod designed to fix that. Only the difference between idle and load.

MakubeX

Partition Master
I cannot agree with you. Very few modders pay attention to the differences in bios and in windows. They pay attention to the difference between idle and load in windows. The Vdroop mods are specifically aimed at that, not at fixing the difference between bios and windows. Vdroop mods DO NOT fix that. I have never seen a mod designed to fix that. Only the difference between idle and load.
I'm am not talking about what the intention of the mod is. That has nothing to do with it. Whatever the intentions of the mod are, are irrelevant. Vdroop is what it is, regardless of what mod people do to fix it or not. Besides people mod to have an accurate voltage compared to what they set in BIOS, be it in idle or load, they want their voltage to be what they set in the BIOS.

The voltage difference between idle and load is not Vdroop, that is just part of the effect of Vdroop. If the voltage stayed the same in idle and load but it was still lower than what was set in BIOS that is still Vdroop, even if there's no difference between idle and load. If your idle voltage is the same as what was set in BIOS but your load voltage is lower, that is Vdroop because it's different from what was set in BIOS, that is not Vdroop because it's different from idle in spite of it being the same voltage as in BIOS. In conclusion, the difference between what is set in BIOS and what you actually get in idle or load is Vdroop.