Dragon Naturally Speaking 8 Preferred

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There are literally tons of productivity software out there to be had. Some are applications that allow you to do specific things such as create documents, graphs, spreadsheets and do image editing. Others are used to improve your productivity by allowing you to have better control over the software you are using. Some increase the abilities of the software and some increase the abilities of the user. Today we're looking at one that does the latter.

After reading Matts review here, feel free to discuss it here!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Doesn't Windows come with a talk-to-text converter? Or is that MS Word? Either way, I used that with about 5 minutes of "training" and it did a decent job. I don't use it, but played around with it a couple months back. It was kinda neat.

As far as the Dragon though, I don't have any experience with it. If what you've said is true, then I don't want to. Good try Matt.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Oh, it's decent enough and if you use standard english you're golden, I just happen to use brand names in a lot of the texts I write and it's horrible for that.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
madmat said:
Oh, it's decent enough and if you use standard english you're golden, I just happen to use brand names in a lot of the texts I write and it's horrible for that.

But it can learn (or at least older dragon versions could, I stopped upgrading at 6.x because the price was rising faster than the USEFULnew features.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
I've never seen ANY recognition software, voice or handwriting that does everything perfect, I found just getting the majority of the text correct and then editing/search and replace did ok (as I said with older versions) and speeded up my work. (because I'm a poor/slow typist, and used to do lots of long reports) Early version of dragon (2&3) on really slow hareware produced excessiveerrors, but sometimes incredibly funny texts.