Dr Pepper pissed me off.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So what I am gathering is that this affects only those who live in Texas? It's still going to be made the same way. I am not familiar enough with the soda business to understand what this truly means.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes I did. I am a big Coke Zero drinker (to mix, I never drink soda by itself), so I can't take advantage of it, haha. I don't like regular Coke, but diet is good.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I've never had the cane sugar Dr Pepper but would really like to try it. They only sell the corn syrup variation where I live. The cane sugar Coke is awesome.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I believe we get the cane sugar variant up here, but am not positive. Haven't had Dr Pepper anywhere else to know the difference.

It seems that this is raising a big stink in Texas though, even among notable people.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Was surprised when Rob linked me to this thread!

This is just horrible. It goes beyond buying out the little guy... all marketing, signs, advertising, etc, is no longer allowed to say "Dublin Dr. Pepper", so people are having to cover up or paint over the Dublin in their advertising. This pretty much affects the entire town.

What makes this even worse, is that Dublin relied heavily on the tourism from people coming in to tour the museum. I don't remember the number given in the local paper, but it was a heft amount. They're now worried about the town's future this year, especially as they will be losing the jobs from the bottling and manufacture of Dublin DP.

I've toured the Waco DP building and museum, and it was really cool. The original formula for Dr. Pepper gave new meaning to their marketing slogan, "Have a bite to eat"... so I'm pretty disappointed DP decided to knock off a non-related sugar-version producer. I've had the sugar-based DP from Dublin and it was pretty decent stuff, but it was extremely rare, and pricey at that... so it never really directly competed against the original brand.