Dove tail joints.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
This isn't really a mod question... because It's not really pc related...

box.jpg

I was wondering if any of you had any experience doing dove tail interlocking with joints. This is a rather complex one, but its something that I am going to try to accomplish. Looking for advice, suggestions if any of you have done this kinda thing before.

(Feel free to move the post to Mods if you feel its better fit there Rob.)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Most dovetail joints are made with a router and jig
They have to be perfect, therefore a jig/setup to hold the material to make several passes acuratly

Home Depot usually has the jig for routers

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Yeah I haven't been able to find that for a 45 instead of a 90...
You may have to cut the 45 angle first, then cut across the end secured in a special home made fixture using the same jig setup. I havent seen any 45 degree dovetail, but it looks possible

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Im thinking about setting the blade height on a table saw to a set height for the internal cut, and then simply turning the blade to then and for the slots.

I really dont see much of another way in doing this.

Last edited:

moon111

Coastermaker
In the old days, they would of butted the two pieces up together, drawn a line for depth, put the angles in and cut it with a small hand saw.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Still possible...

But as Im doing something that intricate, I do not do this often, and I am on a limited budget and cannot go out back and cut down a tree for more wood...

I think I will stick to Auto CAD and other programs to plan this out carefully first.

Update: Ive created my Jig's to hold the wood at the proper angles for this later. I hope to have a working prototype of this soon. (I bought some cheap scrap wood to test out the design for 50 cents)